The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Mud, Blood and Poppycock

Guest Wayne Draper

Well that would be a first. I've never seen that on any forum where clips are taken from other posts.

I use it all the time on this Forum. Also I notice Siege Gunner has used this protocol in this thread.

Considering the number of edited/truncated quotes that appear on the Forum, it's remarkably rare for a 'quotee' to complain that their original message has been distorted or misrepresented. This suggests that even in the absence of any formal convention, members instinctively endeavour to quote fairly, and usually succeed — and occasional lapses, due to haste or lack of rigour in editing, can reasonably be assumed to be accidental. That said, it is usual, when presenting a partial quote, to indicate in some way (...., <snip>, etc) that text has been excised.

As Mr Clay sagely says: "Language is devalued if it ain't .... like claret. Innit." :D

Chris has asked that quotes be kept to a minimum. When cutting one I insert ....... to make this clear. Any time I may have omitted the dots is inadvertant. I try to do it all the time.

I use cuts frequently, and have never indicated the fact. Not had a complaint. Yet. Surely an intelligent reader has only to scroll back through the topic to find the full version?

Get this thread back on course please or the problem will be solved at the press of a delete button.

Many thanks for your co-operation and thank you for flying with LLT Airways. Oops sorry, that's my night time job.

TR

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wayne Draper

I do thank all of you for your suggestions and start researching for more books to read on the subject with the info that you have supplied will be a great help.

Tks :blush:

Melchett,

Are you sure you want to be associated with a passing 'fool' like me :D

Aye

Tom McC

Tom, I have finally got round to looking at all the bits you sent me through. Makes interesting and quite stark reading!