The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Runaway Obsevation Balloon

Peter Shand

I came across this incident in the diary of the 161 Brigade, RFA, part of the 32nd Division Artillery near Authuille, dated 23 June 1916.

"Very violent storm sprung up at 4 pm when lightening struck the cable of the Hennencourt Balloon and set it free, fortunately the two occupants were able to ascend (sic) in safety using their parachutes."

I wasn't aware that parachutes were in use in 1916 and how they managed to "ascend" with them is a new one.

Pete S

I came across this incident in the diary of the 161 Brigade, RFA, part of the 32nd Division Artillery near Authuille, dated 23 June 1916.

"Very violent storm sprung up at 4 pm when lightening struck the cable of the Hennencourt Balloon and set it free, fortunately the two occupants were able to ascend (sic) in safety using their parachutes."

I wasn't aware that parachutes were in use in 1916 and how they managed to "ascend" with them is a new one.

Pete S

There must have been some severe updrafts in that storm! :rolleyes: Doc

There must have been some severe updrafts in that storm! :rolleyes: Doc

Static line parachutes for jumping from balloons were invented before WW1.

There is a case of a US pilot ejecting from a jet in a thunderstorm in the 1960s and on deploying his chute finding himself going up _ it took him some time to reach ground. Howevwr the best case was a showman baloonists assistant called Bathwick in the late 1890s in the US Mid West who was carrying the used chute back for refolding. To avoid the harness trailing on the ground he put it on. He was then hit by a tornado, under the parachute he ascended to a considerable height and travelled about 20 miles before the chute brought him down reasonably safely - so it can happen. However in the case cited I think it was probably a mere malapropism.

Static line parachutes for jumping from balloons were invented before WW1.

There is a case of a US pilot ejecting from a jet in a thunderstorm in the 1960s and on deploying his chute finding himself going up _ it took him some time to reach ground. Howevwr the best case was a showman baloonists assistant called Bathwick in the late 1890s in the US Mid West who was carrying the used chute back for refolding. To avoid the harness trailing on the ground he put it on. He was then hit by a tornado, under the parachute he ascended to a considerable height and travelled about 20 miles before the chute brought him down reasonably safely - so it can happen. However in the case cited I think it was probably a mere malapropism.

being of the opinion that your never to old to learn something i am happy to say that i have today learned the meaning of the word MALAPROPISM.

dave.

The thunderstorm on the afternoon of 23rd June at about 3 pm was the one mainly responsible for the opening day of the Battle of the Somme being postponed for two days. Four kite balloons were damaged or destroyed on the day, on the Fourth Army front, two balloons were struck by lightning and destroyed and a third was severely damaged, landing empty just behind Hebuterne. On the Third Army front the balloon of No. 5 Kite Balloon Section tethered near Foncquevillers eventually ended up in a British gun position near Arras twelve miles to the north having been blown up and across the German lines and then back again. The two officers experienced an electrical storm and a snow storm, one got frost bite. The balloon caught fire and one officer's parachute blew open and was cut away. The other officer's parachute also blew open and caught in the balloon's ropes with the officer taken with it out of the basket. As the balloon deflated and started a rapid descent this officer realised that his parachute, now open and above the balloon was the only thing slowing the balloon down and, as the other officer couldn't jump having cut away his parachute, the one hanging outside the balloon tied his parachute to the balloon and they descended safely together. The officers concerned were 2nd Lts J W Jardine and G D S M Pape with Pape being the one hanging from his parachute.

Balloon officers had parachutes, pilots and observers of aircraft did not.

Hi bmac, Fascinating post and quite a tale of lucky survival of 2nd Lts. Pape and Jardine. The Hennencourt Balloon I referred to would have been on the 4th Army front, I believe, and may have been the third one you mentioned. The RFA diary also mentions artillery officers visiting an aerodrome at Hennencourt to review registration of gun targets with the 4th Squadron Flying Company.