The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Hard Jacka

DaveMurphy

G'day All,

Have just picked this new book up for $20, looks to be a good read.

Has anyone read it yet and got a review? Has Lawriwsky got any other books?

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I saw it the other day but didn't buy it cos' I was with the missus who was frowning at me. Could be because of the pile of books next to the bed that I haven't got to yet.

I had a quick flick - am I correct in thinking it was done in a 'novel' style rather than a 'historical' style.

Cheers,

Tim L.

G'day Tim,

Yeah kinda more in the style of Carlyon than a historians piece... all of which have their place of course! Looks to be an easy, entertaining read.

I had to go and buy it by myself, whilst using some other stuff I bought for the missus as a decoy when I got it home... :rolleyes: Was pretty cheap at twenty bucks, they seem to have a sale of 30% off the RRP at Myers each weekend at the local shopping centre. I picked up Petersen's Gallipoli to the Western Front in the same deal. Cheaper than Borders or Target!

Have also put it into the ever growing pile.. am just about finished up Roland Perry's 'Monash' which is an excellent read.

Have a relaxing Sunday!

Dave

I also saw this the other day (Big W I think, for about $20). As I already have 2 books on Jacka (one of which I haven't read yet) - I also decided to leave it on the shelf for now.

Be interesting to hear what people think of it.

Cheers, Frev

Hi All,

I've read it and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm a bit of a Jacka fan and have read all his biographies. What makes Hard Jacka outstanding is that the author has done his best to base as much of it on fact as he can, which is described in the back of the book. He has merely "filled in the blanks" to provide an entertaining read.

The other thing I found is that you get a sense of being there with the men, which you don't get in biographies.

I hope it promotes Jacka to outsiders who would not read a biography but may read this, and inturn spread knowledge on our greatest frontline soldier.

Hope you all enjoy it too!!

Hi Pals

Had i realised it was more of a novel than anything else i would not have brought it. Having said that i enjoyed it very much and would recommend to others.

Regards Scott

Saw it but didn't buy it. I'm sure the author has done his research to get to know Jacka, but to put words into Jacka's mouth that he has no idea if he ever said seems a bit wrong, but maybe that's just me.

I'm sure it will sell well though.

G'day All,

Have just picked this new book up for $20, looks to be a good read.

Has anyone read it yet and got a review? Has Lawriwsky got any other books?

Cheers,

Dave

I have to second Andrew's comment. I had a flick through it and was very suprised to see the quoted conversations between staff officers, soldiers etc. I thought gee....this reads like a good piece of historical faction.

Not for me, but it could be good in getting the popular reading audience into the better-researched literature. Im always for that.

I, too, agree with Andrew and Michael. I had a look at the book in a shop, but put it back on the shelf when I saw the imagined conversations. The style must appeal to many, but not to me.

However, it'd be a dull world if we were all the same.

Gareth

I tend to agree with Andrew, Michael and Gareth. Generally, if I want to read fiction I don't want to grapple with the idea of trying to place historical characters into fictional circumstances. That being said, I'm not totally committed to that view and am willing to try anything once.

Perhaps a light historically based novel would be nice by the fire on a cold Sunday afternoon.

Cheers,

Tim L.

Obviously people such as ourselves, who have an interest in war history head straight for the biographies because we want the facts, and to be honest I too would have given it the cold shoulder had I not had an interest in the Albert Jacka and the 14th battalion. Having read a few biographical books on Jacka and the 14th battalion I was pleasantly surprised after reading this book.

Fortunately we have a considerable amount of recorded dialogue thanks to soldiers’ diaries, letters, etc. Lawriwsky has used these were ever he can, and it forms the majority of the book. More importantly the events that happen are overwhelmingly fact and by no means fictional.

How Jacka got his VC was always a bit cloudy in my mind. I knew what he’d done to get it, but how wasn’t to clear. This book paints it crystal clear. Just look at the map in the back.

Anyway I better stop now, maybe I’ve read too many war biographies and found this refreshing for a change. One thing I can tell you is that the story of Jacka and the 14th is a remarkable one. I don’t think their feats and accomplishments as well as their tragedies have ever been portrayed better.

Perhaps a light historically based novel would be nice by the fire on a cold Sunday afternoon.

Not sure there are too many of these left for a while... it was 30 here in Sydney today! :blush:

Dave

• 2 years later...

I'm trying to get hold of this book here in the UK. I bid on one edition that was on Australian Ebay but the auction was cancelled at the last minute. Does anyone know if it is on sale over here or do I have to resort to paying a fortune in postage and packing for it?

By the way, I've done a fair amount of research on the man - absolute legend. I told my son the story of when he received seven wounds and his company's attack saved the Australian POWs when we were visiting Pozieres. Incredible.

Give Amazon a try, they usually have everything. Didn't buy it have enough reading at the moment. Just received a copy of Farndale and at the price I had to

pay for it I will be reading the book letter by letter :D

David

• 4 months later...

I note that Lawriwsky has recently had the sequel to this book published. It apparently covers Jacka's life and tragic death in the post war period.

The first book was quite good so hopefully i will get to read the sequel at some stage.

Phil