The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

4th Royal Highlanders (Black Watch)

Yorts

Hi,

In my possession is a 15 Star to a member of this unit (4790 / 201352 Pte / Cpl John Cassidy) killed in action on the 3/9/16. I have the LG entry, MIC, SDGW etc. for him but no war diary extract. The unit was fighting on the Somme at the time, and I believe in High Wood on this day. Could someone provide anymore details or confirm this for me? Also he was awarded a MM on the 23/8/16 - does anyone know of a likely action? It'll be a while before I get to the PRO for the war diary so any help would be appreciated.

Rgds,

Alex. :huh:

Hi Alex,

On March 7th. 1915 the 4th. amalgamated with the 5th. Battalion to become the 4/5th Battalion The Black Watch. This unit on the above dates was involved on the attack on Beaumont Hamel.

I have a copy of the History of The Black Watch 1914 - 1919 and would gladly copy the pages covering the above dates.

Let me know if you wish me to send you copies.

All the best,

Neil

Alex,

From British Bns on the Somme.

Took over the line between the Ancre and Beaucourt Rd and attacked enemy positions opposite Hamel. A & C coys advanced from Giants Causeway at dawn, objective reached but driven back by heavy MG fire. Renewed attack with 11th Royal Sussex, German support line reached and held until 4-00pm.

Withdrew to Engelbalmer, casualties 218.

Bob.