The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2nd Lt William Arthur Barr

Matt Dixon

I am trying to research the following:

2nd Lt William Arthur BARR, Seige Battery 32nd RGA, killed in action near Croiselles on the 27th August 1918.

He enlisted August 1914 in 1/4 Seaforth Highlanders.

I am reliably informed that "During the war, as opportunity served, whilst behind the lines he wrote articles for the London papers"

Does anyone have any idea which papers it might have been?

I am waiting for a reply from the National Newspaper archives in London, to see if they can help.

"The London papers" could mean virtually any publication with offices or printing presses in the capital. Are there any clues in Barr's family/social/professional background that might narrow the field?

You may have a picture but the below appeared in a Roll of Honour, 5/10/18 , War Illustrated : there was no

further information.

post-1-1073741212.jpg

I wonder if finding the report of his death and any obit. in The Times might identify for whom he wrote?

Given the interest in casualty reports in the Times (Annette as well) perhaps PALS could take it upon themselves to transcribe lists for one or two copies of the Times when researching and with Time we could (slowly) builds up and archive.

Martin

Thanks for all the replies and the photo!

Sadly he is prooving to be one of those men that no matter how much research is done, I still can't find anything about him.

I know that he was 36 when he died, his parents came from Surrey and he was a pupil at All Saints School, Bloxham, Oxon between 1900 and 1901.

Other than that, I don't know anything about him.

I have tried emailing every archivist of most the main papers but once again have had no success. He is also NT at PRO.

William Arthur Barr, RGA

Born 3 Jun 82 at Bedford Park, Chiswick, Middlesex, the first son of Robert Barr an author.

Matriculated at Exeter College, Oxford on 21 Oct 1903

Educated at St. Paul's

Enlisted as Private in the 4th Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders and served with it from 1914 to 1917

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant, in the Royal Garrison Artillery Special Reserve on 19 May 1917; served with the 328th Siege Battery, RGA

KIA near Croisilles, 27 Aug 1918

Sources: Exeter College Register, 1891-1921; Oxford University Roll of Service; Army Lists.

Regards. Dick Flory

Jock,

It came from the archives of the school (All Saints), with only the most basic details.

Sadly, although not surprisingly, I have found the school archives are littered with errors, and best taken with a pinch of salt!

Matt,

a lot of white-collar Londoners enlisted in the Highland Division in the early days of the war.

The division arrived in Bedford on 17 Aug. For 5th Seaforth all the enlistments I've been able to date are between 5 - 15 Sep. The recruiting effort seems to have been run out of the London Scottish HQ at Buckingham Gate.

Jock

Jock,

That could very well be the case as his parents came from Surrey.

My SDGW CD has died a death and I can't remember where it was he enlisted.

Matt,

SDGW doesn't give this sort of detail - which is a pity.

I've come across a couple of instances of guys who enlisted in Sep/Oct 14 being recorded in non-official sources as Aug 14, even 4 Aug 14. I put it down to 'he was one of the first to enlist' or 'he joined at the outbreak of war' being interpreted as meaning Aug 14.

Jock