The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Battleground Europe series

andrew pugh

I get a monthly update mailing from Pen and Sword (publishers of Battleground Europe books) which often has some very good offers on past publications and latest publications.

Might be worth a look on the website and signing up for their mailing for latest publications/offers

http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/?category_id=23

(I have no connection with Pen and Sword except as a customer!!! )

I'll recommend P&S's 'Gavrelle' (Arras). Unfortunately, no-one ever goes there, which is a shame, but it is the site of a huge battle in 1917-18 that is well worth a look. And it has perhaps the most unique memoriel to the RND that I have ever seen. Also I'll recommend 'Somme Mud' by E.P.F Lynch, AIF, a publication by the Australian War Memorial which is basically a man's war diary about his time on the Western Front. It pulls no punches, and is certainly not 'politically correct'. Just like an Australian I suppose!

The back cover quotes; "I state something which, after 45 years learning about the men of the first AIF, I never expected to say: this book compares with All Quite on the Western Front." (Professor Bill Gammage).

I agree with him.

Stu

Im very much looking forward to Nigel's Battleground Europe on the battle of Le Cateau which Amazon says will be out (finally) in Febuary.

Just had an e-mail from Nigel Cave who I happen to know through work in which he says

"Le Cateau next one to come out (at long last) --- in the Spring, I think. "

Pen & Sword have a very annoying habit of publicising a book with a release date, then not releasing it !

Mick D

I'll recommend P&S's 'Gavrelle' (Arras). Unfortunately, no-one ever goes there, which is a shame, but it is the site of a huge battle in 1917-18 that is well worth a look.

Stu

Stu,

your right about a lack of visitors to Gavrelle but it's such an inhospitable place now that the bypass goes round it.There was a cracking bloke,farmer,who had a small but very well put out collection that he would show to visitors.He died several years ago & it's all gone now & with it any real intrest from the locals.He walked me to the site of the windmill,years ago & before satnav.I couldn't have found it on my own.

Best to go to Gavrelle from Oppy & get a general idea of the line.P & S's book is very,very good from a visitors point.I like it a lot.

Dave.

I'll recommend P&S's 'Gavrelle' (Arras). Unfortunately, no-one ever goes there, which is a shame, but it is the site of a huge battle in 1917-18 that is well worth a look. And it has perhaps the most unique memoriel to the RND that I have ever seen.

rupert Dont let the 15th west yorkshire reg (Leeds pals ) supporters here this :) we do go and i know a few others who visit, gavrelle is where my great uncle paid the ultimate sacrifice

tafski

Just had an e-mail from Nigel Cave who I happen to know through work in which he says

"Le Cateau next one to come out (at long last) --- in the Spring, I think. "

Oh well.....only another few months longer. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the update Phil.

Maybe not that long. I am within fifty pages of finishing off the index - and it will be good, thanks to years of work by Nigel. It offers more than 250 pages of information to form what will be the first complete account of this landmark battle.

Jack

"Maybe not that long. I am within fifty pages of finishing off the index - and it will be good, thanks to years of work by Nigel. It offers more than 250 pages of information to form what will be the first complete account of this landmark battle.

Jack "

Excellent - Looking forward to reading it!

Gavrelle is not the most picturesque village in France, but i go there for what happened 90 years ago, it is easy to pass with the bypass and not actually stop whilst on route to more of the better known must see areas, the RND memorial is easily found, and the area is worth exploring but don't expect the past to jump out at you, some research, a modern map together with a trench map, will unfold the area before you and the story Gavrelle has to tell.

Gyrene,

Bit late this but I used "Delville Wood" as a reference book when we stayed in Rose Cottage in Longueval in 2003. I found it to be more than adequate as a battlefield guide. Some of the walks mentioned in these books are excellent.