The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Armchair Auctions.

Max Poilu

Got one for August, Auction on 1st September, and have had one for several months before. I suspect he takes names off his list if they have not bid for a while....could that be a possibility? If so, a phone call will get you back on again.

Alan

Yes, I had one from him last month, though I suspect my sub has expired. George doesn't seem to send out reminders, allows a few months' grace, then catalogues fail to arrive, leaving you to contact him.

Moonraker

My latest copy arrived this morning; bids close at noon on Saturday. (I've sometimes felt that George could allow a few more days for bids, five days being about his norm. I suppose one can phone or fax them through, but he doesn't publicise any email address.)

Moonraker

I'm not sure George knows what an e-mail address is! :lol:

Alan

He does have a word-processor, because he saves the blurbs and re-uses them word-for-word when books recur in his catalogues; but he still addresses envelopes by hand. A few years ago he did "have a girl in" to help with his admin; she deleted me from the mailing list.

Moonraker

Yep, George sure is one of the old school. As I posted earlier have not had a catalogue for ages - presume his ongoing feud with the N@twest is still alive and kicking? :D

But in the latest catalogue he seems to have mellowed a little about newcomers to our shores, though he can't resist a dig at our gallant German and French allies in Afghanistan.

Moonraker

• 6 years later...

Out of the blue - well, through the letterbox - has come the latest catalogue from George, who appears to be still ticking along nicely without a website and email address. And yes, there's another dig at NatWest. The 338 entries include some interesting - and unfamiliar - WWI titles, not least Smith-Dorrien's Memories of Forty-Eight Years Service.

Moonraker

For the uninitiated - who is George, what does he sell & how do I get his Catalogue?

Write to him at Armchair Auctions, 98 Junction Road, Andover, Hampshire, SP10 3JA.

George usually has a long and very mixed list of titles (all wars, but a good hunk being WW1 - regimental histories, memoirs, modern books, etc etc). It is a postal auction, run roughly monthly. You send in your best bid for any title you fancy. If you outbid others, you then pay up. Over the years I have bought stacks of stuff from him.

umm......

I have had some great purchases from George (including some rare memoirs in jackets) over the years, I was off his list for a long while, I suppose because having found

nearly all my 'wants' I had not purchased much from him.But recently out of the Blue I must have gone back on his list, I have only purchased one book so far in the last few

months so may well go out of favour again but even though his recent catalogues contain mostly new titles I still enjoy browsing through them and I even like to read his

un-PC jokes and don't mention Nat West or The Royal Mail / Post Office to him !

Thanks Chris, I'll drop him a line.

ummm...nothing