The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Education Before Verdun

Paul Hederer

I'm just finishing up Arnold Zweig's "Education before Verdun," and thought I'd post a quick review here. I see Zweig has been mentioned a few times at the forum, but I see no review of this book.

As a bit of a background Zweig served in the German Army during the war, and at Verdun. He volunteered for the army in 1914, but began to question his own motivations after the Jewish census of 1916 (he was Jewish), which shamelessly tried to show that Jews in Germany were not serving their country.

"Education before Verdun," was chocked full of small details that only someone who had actually been to the battlefield could know. I enjoyed the easy way the author has his characters roam about the area, accurately describing the terrain. I was even able to locate the exact location of the "Steinbergquelle," ammunition dump and trace the route to the front the characters take in the beginning of the book.

The story, which is from the German perspective, reminded me a bit of "A very long engagement," in that it is, in its own way, a murder plot, administered through the guise of the war, and the story of an injustice imposed by the army. I won't go into more detail, as I don't want to spoil the plot, but I'll just say it was a riveting story.

The author's talent are manifested through the way he brings all of his characters to life, and his descriptions of the landscape and battle.

It's easy to see why the book has been translated into so many languages and sold millions of copies worldwide since its being published in 1935. Zweig writes with incredible depth. I enjoyed the book so much that his, "The Case of Sergeant Grischa," which takes place on the Eastern Front during the war is next on my reading list.

Paul

Paul,

I totally agree with you. An excellant book. Not full of action so to speak but full of authentic observations. I really enjoyed it and I must re read it. You have inspired me to get my copy off the book shelf!!!

Regards

TT

PS not your average war book by any means,

I couldn't agree more. You can just feel the experience. Reminded me a bit of "The Middle Parts of Fortune," as well as far as the realism of the characters and situations. I love how he throws in the small details about the orderly room which make it so you can almost smell the stale cigar smoke of the Sergeant on duty.

Zweig belongs to the group of great writers of the war. He really shows the power of the novel as a form of expression and realism.

Paul

Paul

Education Before Verdun is part of a proposed sequence of seven novels of which the last was "projected and unpublished".

The sequence, published out of sequence, with UK publication dates, is The Time is Right (1962), Young Woman of 1914 (1932), Education Before Verdun (1936), The Case of Sergeant Grisha (1928). Fuerpause (Untranslated Germany 1954), The Crowning of a King (1938) and (projected only) Das Eis bricht). Zweig's series title for the firts (published) six was The Great war of the White People. Incidentally Cyril Falls rated Grisha as one of the best ten novels about the war.

The first translation is the weakest and seems to have been published by translators and a publisher unaware of the overall sequence. I consider that the only true comparison in terms of sweep and depth is with the Williamson Chronicle of Ancient Sunlight. I have completed an analysis of the sequence for my projected bibliography and commentry ("Work in Progress - slowly - very slowly) of German Great War works which were translated into English - there are about 150 or so. Zweig stands out in authorly skill and sweep. I just think they are very special, as incidentally did the anglocentric German author and academic W G Seebold. As they annoyingly say in US restuarants "enjoy". Hope this is of interest

David

Paul,

Thank you for drawing our attention to this book. I have often seen it in sewcondhand bookshops as 'Erziehung bevor Verdun' and now I will buy it at last after your enthusiastic review.

David,

Please let us know how your work progresses.

All the best,

Fred

David,

Thanks for the great post--all very interesting. I had read online that "Education Before Verdun," was part of a series/sequence, but I hadn't known the scope. I'm looking forward to Sergeant Grischa next.

I was fascinated to read about the Judenzählung. I've read the collection of Wild von Hohenborn's letters (War Minister) but I don't remember (and I can understand why) any mention of this episode. I see Zweig also wrote about this in "Judenzählung vor Verdun," and I'd like to try and find a copy in German if possible. What a truly shameful episode!

Best Regards,

Paul

Paul

Refresh my aging memory - is that the episode of the Jewish bankers being called together to request that they fund Jewish emigration to - from memory again - the US?. If so, it fascinated me and I have often wondered if there is a basis of truth, for I have seen no other references to it. If not remind me what it is!

best regards

David

David,

No, it was an attempt by the German High Command to show that jews were not serving in the army in numbers comensurate with their population.

Here is a link to a complete explanation:

Judenzählung

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Paul,

To let you know your post has inspired me to re read my copy after 10 years or so and wow!!!! Its even better than I remembered. The fine detail is superb and what is good is that the events are not the ususal front line stuff but equally important. The text and thoughts expressed really show the differences between German and British society at that juncture in time.

Thanks for the inspiation friend!

Regards

TT

TT,

That's very cool that you read it again, and enjoyed it so much.

I've just started "The Case of Sergeant Grischa," and it promises to be superlative. I was struck again my the power of description and the language Zweig uses.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Paul,

About a third through it now. It really is an excellent read and I cant recommend it enough! Far better second time around. The story is good, the details excellent and I cant put it down.......Sgt Kroysings possessions have just been returned to his brother.

I only wish a new Verdun book in English came out...how about the German Army at Verdun by Jack Sheldon? I would snap it up. The last few released in the UK have been poor in my view.

A truely emotive battlefield to visit also.

Regards

TT

TT,

Verdun has been an interest of mine for over 20 years. I have been researching for a book on Verdun for about the past year or so. It's been slow going working full time and with family obligations.

It's really a matter of sorting through it all and conducting some analysis of what happened. There are a lot of myths out there, especially in English, that could use some clearing up.

All the Best,

Paul

Surprisingl, as far as I can work out, German accounts translated into English, by Verdun participants are rare. One that I have found is 'The Holocaust' by Willi Hermanns ( Harper & Row 1972). Published I think only in the USA. Well worth reading and copies turn up quite frequently offered by Us dealers on abebooks.com. If anyone knows of any others (in English translation) I would be delighted to hear. Herman's mg coy (67th Regt, 68th Inf Bde 34th Inf Div) entered Verdun sector in August. He was captured by French Colonial troops on the 24th Oct. It is I think a valuable corrective to much of the nationalistic German work publised between the wars and a helpful source on the closing stages of the Verdun battle.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished it. I have done it justice and taken my time to read it. A powerful book and I admit better second time around. Very sad and depressing in places and really paints the picture of a hopeless existence of a German soldier. Highly highly recommended to all.

TT

Just finished it. I have done it justice and taken my time to read it. A powerful book and I admit better second time around. Very sad and depressing in places and really paints the picture of a hopeless existence of a German soldier. Highly highly recommended to all.

TT

TT,

Glad to see you finished it, and enjoyed the read. I'm still in Sgt. Grischa--I've been doing someother projects, and havn't had the time to finish it. In Grischa it's nice to see Bertin in a somewhat happier condition!

Paul