The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

FORGOTTEN HEROES by Willliam Henry

C.TIERNEY.

Hello all,

I thought you would like to know about William Henry's latest, a follow up to "Galway and the Great War"

FORGOTTEN HEROES

Galway Soldiers of the Great War 1914-1918

Published by Mercier Press the book was launched this week in Galway (that's if you launch a book)

It is a meticulous account of those from Galway City and county who fought and died in many different uniforms army and navy British, Canadian, ANZAC and American. It also contains some poignant photographs that allow us to put faces to the names.

It is a must to anyone interested in the Connaught Rangers in particular as their recruit and Regt Depot was located in Galway.

Happy reading

C.T.

Hallo C. T. :D

Greetings to Galway's Fair City, can you supply a ISBN Number and price for this book??

All the best from Connaught Stranger, (Transylvania) but currently on a visit to Bavaria, Germany :lol:

Hallo C. T. :D

Greetings to Galway's Fair City, can you supply a ISBN Number and price for this book??

All the best from Connaught Stranger, (Transylvania) but currently on a visit to Bavaria, Germany :lol:

Salut Caoimhin ce mai faci?

I thought this would bring you out of your bat cave, but all the way to Bavaria?.

ISBN: 978 1 85635 556 8 Cost = €20.00.

Give me a call next time you make it to the west coast of Europe.

Ciao,

Cyril.

Hello every one, this is my first post on this site and not to sure how this site works? I have just been told about the book from a cousin in Galway that our grandfather and other family members are in the book. As i don't know any thing about his life in the army, and all i have on him is his marriage certificate and his death certificate, plus the same photo which is in the book. I wonder if any one could tell me what " the expedition force" was, as it says in the book he was with them?

There was also an earlyer book by William Henry called Galway and the great war.

galwayandthegreatwarqy5.jpg

Migky ;)

Hello every one, this is my first post on this site and not to sure how this site works? I have just been told about the book from a cousin in Galway that our grandfather and other family members are in the book. As i don't know any thing about his life in the army, and all i have on him is his marriage certificate and his death certificate, plus the same photo which is in the book. I wonder if any one could tell me what " the expedition force" was, as it says in the book he was with them?

There was also an earlyer book by William Henry called Galway and the great war.

galwayandthegreatwarqy5.jpg

Migky ;)

Hi Migky,

Simply put as I understand it. In 1914 the British army was qiute small and had downsized after the Boer war so in place of an umwieldly army they had planned that in the event of a crisis they would have a small "Expeditionary Force" (BEF) of six infantry divisions, equipped as a mobile force that could be deployed anywhere in the world. Thereby allowing for a full mobilization to continue at home.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

C. T.

Hi Migky,

Simply put as I understand it. In 1914 the British army was qiute small and had downsized after the Boer war so in place of an umwieldly army they had planned that in the event of a crisis they would have a small "Expeditionary Force" (BEF) of six infantry divisions, equipped as a mobile force that could be deployed anywhere in the world. Thereby allowing for a full mobilization to continue at home.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

C. T.

Hi C. T. and thanks for your help. might get me a little nearer when i get the book and help me find his army records

Migky ;)