The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Researching Cpl. Miller MM.

Rob Bulloch

Hello the Forum.

I am trying to research a soldier he is 7854 Cpl. J. Miller MM.97/Coy MGC. on his MM. On his trio MID. 9644. Pte J. Miller. Royal Highlanders. in his group there is a Delhi Durbar to 9644. Sgt. J Miller 2nd Royal Highlanders. Any help with Pte Miller would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Yours Aye Rob.

From my database..

No Name Rank Award LG Date Page Resident

7854 MILLER F CPL MM 17/09/1917 9610 CUPAR

I've cross-referenced notes, and he is gazetted as 'F' (viz 'J') probable admin error at the LG (not unknown).

But I didn't have the unit; useful collateral.

97 Coy MGC formed by Feb 16 at Grantham; MG Coy of 97 Bde of 32 Div, joined 15 March 1916. To 32 MG Bn 21 February 1918. Served entirely in France & Flanders.

Hello Staff's.

Thanks for the information, All the best Rob.

Interestingly Duckers, "The Delhi Durbar Medal 1911 to the British Army does not show a 9644 Sgt J. Miller, 2nd Royal Highlanders but does have 8754 (very close to his 7854) Pioneer Sgt., 1/K

Sorry, hit return bar accidentally. Last part of message should have read: Pioneer Sgt, 1/KOSB.

Regards. Dick Flory

Thanks rflory.

For the information, my Pte Miller seems to be a bit of a mystery man, there is a question about his christian name on the MM, and now a regiment difference on the Delhi Durbar. "The plot thickens" thanks again. Rob.