The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Spats, Khaki. Highlanders for the use of.

4thGordons

My 1911 Dress regualtions (para 40) makes reference to Khaki Spats for wear in highland kilted regiments.

These are familiar from most 1914/15 pictures of kilted regiments.

Does anyone happen to know if these were the same as white dress spats but blancoed khaki, or if they were actually khaki as produced and supplied? I am trying to assemble an early war Gordon's uniform and the spats are proving elusive I only ever see white blancoed ones.

while I have my anorak on...

Khaki Kilt covers/aprons, - my photographs seem to show two distinct variants, the "front only" type and a complete "wrap around" version. Is anyone aware of any pattern in the issue of these? Did it vary by regiment? by Bttn? by period? any suggestions appreciated. It appears most of the Highland division in Bedford in 14/15 had the front apron variety but that by 1916 the full wrap seems more common in photographs from France but this is simply my impression from scanning a large number of photos.

thanks in advance

Chris

Hello,

The examples of the spats I have seen have been made of khaki coloured matterial, but are they same cut and design as the white ones. The buttons on them were also either tin or khaki painted tin. I have only examined about 3 pairs, so there are probably a few variations. It would not surprise me if some white ones were not dyed or painted khaki during the early stages of the war, due to equipment shortages.

The front panel kilt aprons were the early pattern. They were worn during the Boer War, I do not think they were introduced much before this time. By the start of the First War the full wrape around type was in use, but all old stocks would be used before the new type were issued. You will probably find that Highland regular regiments at home would have the full wrape around type, those in India etc may still have had the earlier issue, TF units may have still been using the old type as well, as they tended to get obsolete items, and the Kitchener Army units would have just use whatever they were given first {15th Scottish Div were issued with Scarlet tunics, instead of Khaki, as there first issue uniform}. The full wrape around type were in used up until 1939/40, when the kilt was removed from active service dress, and Highland Regiments began to wear full Battledress.

Regards,

Stewart

Chris,

Highland units were issued a "Drab, Highland Gaiter" since at least 1903 (that's as far back as I looked).

That is when pattern 5888 was introduced. small chanmges were made in 1905 and again in 1914. Changes only reflected changes in the make-up of the instep leather. e.g. in 1914 the leather was changed to chrome tanned etc. Construction identical to whaite ones i.e use of whale bone stiffeners and same number of buttons etc.

From 1903 (5847/1903 ) there was only the full pattern drab kilt procured by the War Office.

The half ones do show up in photos of especially territorials and Canadians, but these were mostly bought by the TFA's and not IAW gov't WO pattern or Gov't in Canada bought them for the CEF Bns and not WO Stock. This will explain Bedford as lots of TF photos exist from there.

I've had a lttle different experience than Paul on nomenclature. I actually can't recall ever seeing the full wrap around apron referred to as covers in official documents and only referred to as Aprons.

Here just two examples of many:

scan0002ev0.jpg

October 1916 GRO for winterscale of issue for BEF

pg1ms5.jpg

Interesting in the fact that many photos show the aprons not being worn on active service.

I found that in 1917 the Army in Salonika distributed a survey to the Kilted Battalions asking if continued issue was worth while as the aprons seemed to mostly being used for rags and not to cover the kilt.

In addition references to Drab kilts increase on issue scales as the war progresses with specific reference that aprons will not be issued with drab kilts.

The following photo is from what I believe a TF soldier in the 1/6th Gordons. Been a bit well family used. The Sporran is actually marked to the 4th VB and has what looks like the same name--fairly indecypherable along with numbers that have been washed out by the family but appear to be matching stains. Came out of NH garage sale and was in an old suit case and the only info I got was they thought it belonged to their great grand dad and I could not get a name. Ignore the laundry pin. Spats are of the 1914 variety with requisite Gordon Black buttons.

scan0001qo3.jpg

Joe Sweeney

Thanks for all the responses.

and Joe.... I am not sure if you made my day or consigned me to an evening of jealous contemplation!

THANKS (either way!) ;)

PS wound stripe, signallers badge, mourning button and...is that an NCO's pattern glengarry badge?

Is the sporran cantle brass or silver it is tough to tell from the photo?

Thanks again, fantastic set

Chris