The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Passchendaele - Unseen Panoramas of the Third Battle of Ypres

Richard John

The GWF has featured longer and more eloquent reviews of the new Passchendaele book than this but I wanted to add a word of appreciation and thanks to Peter Barton and Jeremy Banning for their latest panorama book.

Yet to describe it simply as 'a panorama book' does not do it justice at all. While the panorama photographs we have now come to expect from the authors play an important part, the book is so much more than a collection of glossy 'now and then' photographs. Its text is informative and gripping, outlining the political and tactical considerations that led to the Battles of Ypres, combining straightforward narrative with personal letters and reminscences. Illustrative maps abound - relief maps, trench maps, barrage maps and, most helpfully, moden maps showing the contemporary location of WW1 features.

Passchendaele begins by setting the scene from the 'Salient perspective' and then leads the reader chronologically through the years that saw the area come to resemble more closely the surface of the moon than almost anything else. Chapters 1 to 6 provide an in-depth study of the first two battles, while the remaining chapters concentrate on the Third Battle of Ypres - what led to it, what the tactical considerations were, how it ended, and most movingly, what the soldiers of all sides made of it.

Nowadays the phrase 'all things to all men' tends to be used in a derogatory fashion, but the description can truly be applied with approval to this book. It really does manage to provide a depth of appeal and interest forthe expert and the novice alike. Coming in the 90th anniversary of the Third Battle and as the last surving soldiers fade away, there can be few more eloquent and worthy testaments to their courage, dignity and humanity.

Will it come out in paperback?! It is an ideal book to take to the Salient. But will you be willing to entrust such a valued book to the elements? That is my next quandry!

Richard – many thanks for your kind words regarding the book. I’ll pass them on to Peter too.

In answer to your question about the book ever coming out in paperback – all I can say at the moment is that there are no plans to do this. It is just too long at 460+ pages to consider a softback version.

I can only suggest (as a very poor substitute) suggesting taking an umbrella or a plastic bag! That should suffice if the heavens open (which they so often seem to do when in Flanders!)

Regards,

Jeremy

Richard,

Thank you for this review which is really useful, I am considering unlocking my wallet and investing in a copy and was thinking of purchasing his one on the Somme as well, have you seen/read that one?

Regards,

Scottie.

Must say that I think all of Peter Barton's books are 'must have' publications. The high quality production, detailed research and fascinating content make them essential reading. Would also be good if the Somme/Passchendaele panoramas could be issued on CD like the first book.

Paul,

thank you for your input, if its good enough for you with your knowledge old chap then I will be investing in copies of them forthwith!

Regards,

Scottie.

Oh Gawd...another dent in the wallet, then...

Bernard

'fraid so, but could be the 'Old Rat's purse i/l of my wallet)'

just ordered them (vis the GWF link!)

However I do not think it will be plain sailing as my wife wants them to be my Christmas pressie and hide them away until Dec 25th!

Think I could be lurking in the bushes to ambush the postie the rest of the week!

Regards,

Scottie.

• 1 month later...

The Sunday Mirror has published the 'Englisches Totenfeld' picture taken 90 years ago today. Hope this will be of interest to some.

Click HERE to read the article. For those who read the paper the piece is a double page spread on pp.36-7.

Cheers

Jeremy

Hello Jeremy

Sorry I have not replied earlier. This is a suberb book. I like the personal stories of the battles as the campaign progressed. I had read the book before our visit to Ypres in September, we visited many of the places the book covered and I took quite a few panoramas myself - some of which you will see posted on the forum.

I would say that the book is a must for anyone interested in the battles around Ypres, packed with a good mix of panoramas from 90 years ago to the present day, clear maps , aerial views, sketches and many photographs , I cannot wait for the next!

Thank you again

Andy