The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gallipoli Books

PoW1988

Hi Pals

I am not sure if I have put this in the right area but I will batter on ahead anyway. As many of you know I am studying the Great War at university, first lecture today and I have picked an essay to do already...geek. I wont tell you the exact essay title because I wont be accused of cheating and potentially put my degree at risk, but I wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of some book on the Gallipoli campaign which have focus on the actions of certain military personnel and institutions. I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance!

Lynz :lol:

'Gallipoli' by L. A. Carlyon (2001) is the most beautifully written and balanced account in my view.

'Anzac and Empire - The Tragedy and Glory of Gallipoli' by John Roberson is also very good, and beautifully illustrated.

ciao,

GAC

'Gallipoli' by L. A. Carlyon, pub. 2001 - agree with GAC, this book is very readable

'Gallipoli' by Michael Hickey, pub.1995

'Gallipoli' by Robert Rhodes James, pub.1965

quote: "some book on the Gallipoli campaign which have focus on the actions of certain military personnel and institutions"

If you can say a little more, then perhaps the Pals can come up with some more suggestions

best of luck

Michael

Two paperbacks from The Stationery Office. Lord Kitchener and Winston Churchill: The Dardanelles Part 1. Defeat at Gallipoli Part 2. The findings of the official inquiry into The Gallipoli Campaign. Planning, intention, all the political background before and after. In other words, not at all what you asked for but great background and the real reasons for the men being there.

Les Carlyon's book is readily available and excellent. Tim Travers did a very good overview book on the campaign (I think it's called Gallipoli 1915).

Charles Bean's Australian official histories are available free online (my favourite price :D ) here

Here is one at a different level, Royal Navy angled, but informative about the campaign but aimed at younger readers:

"A Naval Venture - The War Story of an Armoured Cruiser" by T.T.Jeans, Fleet-Surgeon, RN, Blackie & Son, 1917.

Daggers

Lynz

For a different perspective:

Gallipoli The Turkish Story Kevin Fewster Vecihi Basarm & Hatice Hurmuz Basarm

Allen & Unwin ISBN 1 74114 045 5

Not sure if available through UK bookshops - if not worth inter-library loan.

Ivor

Hiya!

Thanks again everyone. Ivor, I already have that book and it offers a great perspective but thanks anyway! Truthergw, explain...haha!

'Gallipoli 1915' by Tim Travers might be worth a look, although I found it strangely vapid, like a meal you've just eaten which isn't memorable.

Gallipoli by Les Carlyon

Gallipoli: the New Zealand story by Christopher Pugsley

Both are great reading, and offer an interesting insight into the Australasian pscyhe that few if any Brit military historians are able to grasp.

Andy M

Squeeth, I have read Travers'. I thought it was ok. Andy, I will certainly look into your suggestions. I am fortunate to have a uni library which is pretty well stocked on WW1 or if that fails, I always have the Mitchell!

Squeeth, I have read Travers'. I thought it was ok. Andy, I will certainly look into your suggestions. I am fortunate to have a uni library which is pretty well stocked on WW1 or if that fails, I always have the Mitchell!

I'm glad you got more out of it than I did. :mellow:

I found it gave me a good framework to build upon. No doubt it wont be the best book in the planet but I thought it was ok.

I found it gave me a good framework to build upon. No doubt it wont be the best book in the planet but I thought it was ok.

I'd read a couple of his other efforts (The Killing Zone and How the War was Won) which I found informative and reaasonably literate. I don't know what happened to this one.

If by any chance you need to look at the Third Battle of Krithia or the actions of the Manchester Infantry Brigade or the 127th Infantry Brigade you might like to have a look at 'I Shall Not Find His Equal'......

The thing about my module is that we have to cover the whole war in 12 weeks and the whole Gallipoli Campaign in one hour. I doubt the lecture will go into any of the battles at any great length but for my coursework it would be good for me to use some examples to illustrate my points, so I will definitely have a look at all of the suggestions, even if it is just for certain chapters.

The thing about my module is that we have to cover the whole war in 12 weeks and the whole Gallipoli Campaign in one hour. I doubt the lecture will go into any of the battles at any great length but for my coursework it would be good for me to use some examples to illustrate my points, so I will definitely have a look at all of the suggestions, even if it is just for certain chapters.

One hour in a 12-week course to Gallipoli? :unsure: It is, to be sure, a peripheral campaign, but it was the Empire's key effort in 1915 and surely worthy of more. I hope they give the Eastern Front due credit (a long overlooked campaign IMHO...)