The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Loos 1915

Jon6640

Can anyone recommend a book on the above battle hopefully with refence to the Hohenzollern Redoubt. I'm particularly interested in the 46th Division's assault on Oct 13th but anything to widen my knowledge would be good.

Jon

You can do no better than the 2nd Volume of the Official History for 1915. A cheaper book with good coverage but not totally free from fault is " Most Unfavourable Ground", by N. Cherry. A more recent is one by N.Owen, " Loos, 1915".

Tom,

do you mean 'Loos 1915' by Nick Lloyd?

regards

Arm

Actually I would also recommend searching the Forum for threads related to the subject. There are many which reference good and bad books, several that have detailed maps, and perhaps some of the more fun ones (at least for those of us further a field) have modern pictures of each location. Andy

Tom,

do you mean 'Loos 1915' by Nick Lloyd?

regards

Arm

I do indeed. Well done that man for spotting my deliberate mistake. :ph34r: Nick Lloyd it is, and I wouldn't mind so much but I even went to check !

While I am here, Gordon Corrigan also did a book on Loos.

There's also a book about Loos in Michael Gavaghan's Forgotten Battle Series, if you're interested in touring...

Alan

Also Niall Cherry's bbok "Most Unfavourable Ground" and "Loos" by P.Warner.

Tom,

Corrigan did in fact do a book, I use that phrase, on Loos, I have no real love for it.

regards

Arm

I'd avoid Warner's book, personally. Lots of threads on it on the Forum.

And Arm - Tom's of the Scottish persuasion. One Welsh surname is pretty much the same as another: Lloyd, Owen, Williams, Jones, Morgan. Sounds like the line up of back row to me, but hey......

And Arm - Tom's of the Scottish persuasion. One Welsh surname is pretty much the same as another: Lloyd, Owen, Williams, Jones, Morgan. Sounds like the line up of back row to me, but hey......

Excellent............playing with fire, but excellent! :lol:

Oh, and I'd agree with Steven's caveat about the Warner book.

ciao,

GAC

My original interest was in Loos. Warner's book was the first I read, from the library. Least said, soonest mended, I think. My first post in this thread recommended the OH, and I stick by that. By the time you buy 2 or 3 other books, you could have bought the OH.

ImHO Warner's book is worth the outlay for a paperback for the short personal accounts it contains.

Thoughly recommend "Most Unfavourable Ground".

Not only is it a comprehensive read but Niall is a Forum member (and needs the money :D )

John

You can do no better than the 2nd Volume of the Official History for 1915.

Where can you get a copy of this from?

Jon

www.amazon.co.uk or www.naval-military-press.com or www.abebooks.com

There is a link to Amazon at the bottom of the page.