The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

William E Alexander Pte RMA

delta

I am trying to find out about those soldiers who names appear on the memorial in Grateley Church Hampshire to add to the local website.

I am having difficutly identifying any information about William E Alexander. He is recorded on the memorial as a private soldier in the RMA (Royal Marine Artillery?), however no record of his death is given on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) website.

Can some-one give me a steer where else to look?

There could be several reasons why he does seem to appear on the CWGC site.

1) He died after the cut-off date of 31.08.21

2) He served under a different name or initials

3) The name on the memorial is an error (wrong name/didn't die)

4) He has been left off the CWGC site in error

5) He died after discharge of a non-war related (officially) cause but still added to memorial

Have you any more information on this man?

Regrettably I cannot provide any more details - I have cheked the cenus for 1901 and he was not in the village at that time; there are a number of serving William Alexander but none in the RMA.

Talking of which, am I right to assumew that he did serve in the Royal Marine Artillery - it is an organisation with which I am unfamiliar. If so are there any records of their activities in the War; do you tjhink that the RM Muesum at Eastney may have his details aor are they only likely to be in the PRO?

The records of men in the RMA are held at the PRO in series ADM159. They each have a page in a very, very large and heavy leather bound volume, that gives good detail of his description, postings, medical history, etc. Some very limited family details (place of birth, trade, next of kin).