The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Aristocracy and the Great War

AlanCurragh

Not so much a review (although it is a very fine book imho) but thought I'd pass on the price N+MP are asking for this book at the moment - £35 reduced to £6!

I have no connection with Mr Gliddon, or the Press, just thought this was an astonishing bargain....

Alan

Charming. I bought it from N&M last year for £13. If 'd waited a year or so, maybe they'd have paid me to take it.

Not a bad book, but I wish the indexing was better: tracking families by name is un-necessarily complex.

I would agree that this book is a bargain at the special offer price, but I'm glad I didn't pay the original asking price for it. Its content is very good, as far as it goes, but it suffers from being neither a joined-up narrative nor an easily accessible reference work.

It's a sort of gazetteer, organised by county (plus Wales, Scotland and Ireland), then by 'family seats' (houses/estates), with a longer or shorter account of the war service/experiences of each of the families concerned, but it lacks an index of family names/titles, or indeed a general index, which makes it difficult to access unless you already know where to look. It has an incomplete feel to it, as if it was originally conceived as the basis of a rather grander work that was never realised.

The format of it allows you to read it in chunks, and at intervals. I read it in spare moments when there wasn't time to get into something meatier, and as light relief between books that demand closer and more continuous attention. I now dip into it from time to time, when a name comes up, but wonder how long I will remember whereabouts in the book to look. On a couple of occasions, ironically, I've googled a person to discover where their 'family seat' was, and have found more information on them than this book contains. With these reservations, I would still spend £6 on it again, preferably as part of a larger order that ensured free delivery.

Mick

Well worth it at £6, esp to those with an interest in Guards and cavalry regiments. Agree that the indexing is rubbish though.