The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The 1916 Experience: Verdun and the Somme (IWM) - Anyone bought it?

Max Poilu

Ok-ish book, some nice fascimiles (inc a trench map from memory), but worth it for the CD alone, which contains 60 mins of veteran interviews from the IWM archive, most done in the 70s/80s. Nice to hear some of the old vets I knew again.

• 3 months later...

I got this as a prezzie, it's got lots of examples of wartime documents etc. There's even one which shows "how to learm semaphore in a few hours", it should come in handy if you get fed up of sending emails and texts!!!! :ph34r:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1916-Experience-Ve...2821&sr=1-1

Happened to see this (sealed) in my local book shop this morning. Wondered if anyone had got inside a copy and could comment on the quality of the inserts - maps, CD, fascimilies etc. Suspect the text could be a bit lightweight?

Had this last year for B'day prezzie which was nice. At TNA I later saw it at £30-00. Just before Xmas my missus saw it in The Works bookshop at half of this. Surely got to be worth that ?

Owen Hales

Indeed the book is expensive and I also got it as a present.

Worth it: I think it depends on what you expect from it. If you expect to learn more about the battles you can leave this one in the store. But when you want some nice fascimiles and a graphic design, then it's a very nice one.

Also recieved this as a xmas pressie (Thanks Dad)

As most have said its good for the inserts, CD in particular. Nicely laid out book and passed an hour or two on boxing day at the mother in laws :lol:

Glyn

I think I bought this last summer at Verdun,in French.

Dont think it had the cd,though & it cost about 20 euros.