The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Wolds Waggoners Reserve.

Simon R

Quite apart from the difficulties of actually spelling 'waggonners' (which sounds like an Aussie pub), does anybody know anything about this lot? What Div. brigade, btn. etc

Simon

My wife prefers to call me a 'mine of useless information' - to her at least.

Dave

Fleur,

What are you doing to that poor, unidentifiable creature in your Avatar?

Did the Waggoners actually serve as drivers in some sort of army transport role? The refs. are good HP, will look them up.

Simon

The answer to your question is Yes. You can listen to the programme on line through the link.

Dave

Dave,

I bow down to your superior knowledge, of which you are the font of all etc. etc.

Simon - it's a kitten being held up at gun point. I hope the kitten won the arguement by pulling out a big old spud gun

:P

Fleur *off home now ... it's been a long day*

The foll is from Michael Young's history of the ASC 1902-1918:

"In April 1912 a new category of Special Reserves was introduced: Category C. MT Drivers ASC were enlisted in this category, with numbers at first authorized at 1,000 men. In December a limited number of ASC Horse Transport NCOs and Drivers were also enlisted into Category C, to be graded as Roadmasters (Staff Sergeants), Foremen (Corporals) and Wagoners (Drivers). They were a remarkable organization, initially known as the Wagoners special Reserve but later as the Wolds Wagoners, the brainchild of Lieutenant Colonel Sir Mark Sykes Bt, MP of Sledmere in Yorkshire. (The single 'g' of Wagoner' was used on the original membership badge and, although it was incorrect, this spelling was retained. Since the formation of the Royal Waggoners in 1794 the double 'g' has been used by the Corps in subsequent titles [ie Royal Waggon Train]).

Seeing war on the horizon, Sir Mark realized that the skills of Wagoners in the Wolds of Yorkshire would prove invaluable to the army, since they would need no training when it came to mobilization, unlike most others who in due course would be involved with horses during the war. His proposal to the War Office that a special Corps be formed and the men paid a small amount in exchange for a commitment to enlist as drivers for service at home or abroad in the event of war was accepted.

Captain E. Sykes (not related to Sir Mark) who was stationed with the ASC in York, went around the Wolds encouraging farm-hands to join; against an original target of 1,200 men, 200 had enrolled by January 1913 and 400 by July that year. Further recruiting continued, the final total reaching 1,127. Each recruit received One Pound when he signed on, with a promise of One Pound for every subsequent year, and Foremen received Two Pounds, Roadmasters Four Pounds. Among other places recruiting took place at Fimber, where annual wagon-driving competitions took place. In July 1913, Brigadier General F W B Landon CB, Director of Transport & Movements at the War Office, accompanied by Colonel A Phelps, Assistant Director of Supply & Transport in Headquarters Northern Command in York, presented prizes at the Fimber meeting."

Regards

Michael D.R.