The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Books on Mesopotamia and Palestine

Thomas

After reading 'The Last Crusade' by Anthony Bruce it has sparked an interest in me to find ou more about the campaigns in Palestine and Mesopotamia. So I'm asking for any suggestions on books I should read on the campaigns in Mespot and Palestine.

From,

Thomas McCall.

Here are some suggestions. The first three are relatively cheap. 'Ordered to die' is a good (but not perfect) view from the Ottoman perspective - very expensive though. I have also included the references that I have which specifically touch on cavalry and artillery in these campaigns. The Marquess of Anglesey's books are particularly readable but you need to read them in the context of all that was happening.

Strategy and Tactics of the Egypt and Palestine Campaign with Details of the 1917-18 Operations Illustrating the Principles of War

Lieut. Col. A. Kearsey ISBN: 1843422247

Megiddo, 1918: The Last Great Cavalry Victory (Osprey Military Campaign S.)

Bryan Perrett, David G. Chandler ISBN: 1855328275

The National Army Museum Book of the Turkish Front 1914-18: The Campaigns at Gallipoli, in Mesopotamia and Palestine

Field Marshal Lord Carver ISBN: 0330491083

Military Operations in Egypt and Palestine: From the Outbreak of War with Germany to June 1917 (History of the Great War Based on Official Documents)

Lieutenant-General Sir George MacMunn ISBN: 1870423267

Military Operations in Egypt and Palestine: From June 1917 to the End of the War: Part II (History of the Great War Based on Official Documents)

Captain Cyril Falls ISBN: 1870423615

Offical History of The War: Mesopotamia Campaign 1914-1918

F.J. Moberly ISBN: 1870423305

Ordered To Die, A History of the Ottoman Army in the First World War

Edward J. Erickson ISBN: 0313315167

A History of the British Cavalry, 1816-1919: Mesopotamia 1914-1918

Marquess of Anglesey ISBN: 0850524334

A History of the British Cavalry, 1816-1919: Egypt, Palestine & Syria 1914-1919

Marquess of Anglesey ISBN: 0850523958

History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery: Forgotten Fronts and the Home Base,1914-18

Martin Farndale ISBN: 1870114051

A book I enjoyed reading some time ago was,

'With Horse and Morse in Mesopotamia' by Burke, Keast.

This was published in 1927 and is the story of the 1st Pack Wireless Signal Squadron in Mesopotamia.

'Armageddon 1918' by Cyril Falls (Weidenfeld & Nicolson 1964)

Covers the final campaign in Palestine & Syria

• 2 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I also enjoyed "The Palestine Campaigns" by Lt.Gen AP Wavell. Some not very "PC" views, but good reading nonetheless.

:blink: "With The MT In Mesopotamia",Not Sure of the Author,but believe it to be a Lt Col;in the RASC,The Story of Moving & Supplying of Men & Material ,A Nigtmare of Logistics,By Truck & Armoured Car ,Great in that there is a Full list of Awards to All Ranks with A/O Dates[Months before Gazette] Published in the 1930s{Through your Local Library~Held @ British Library,Unless you can locate a Copy}

Rowland Coldicott's London Men In Palestine (which I see is now reprinted by N&MP) is a good account of the 2/21st Londons in Palestine 1917-18. The author was a company commander in the unit.

• 4 months later...
Guest tartan87terror

A. J.Barker's The Neglected War (Faber & Faber, London, 1967).

I was impressed that last week, the morning after I had read about 'Holy War' tactics at Basra in November/December 1914 (pages 49/50), there was a front page headline about British troops in Basra today being threatened by a 'Holy War'. I didn't shiver, but it came close.

• 2 months later...

One interesting pair of volumes on Mesopotamia that has not been mentioned id Edmund Candler's The Long Road to Baghdad. Published shortly after the war in two volumes it is an interesting read. Given its date of publication it is unusually forthright on a number of issues and is well worth searching out if you are interested in the Mesopotamia Campaign.

• 5 months later...
One interesting pair of volumes on Mesopotamia that has not been mentioned id Edmund Candler's The Long Road to Baghdad. Published shortly after the war in two volumes it is an interesting read. Given its date of publication it is unusually forthright on a number of issues and is well worth searching out if you are interested in the Mesopotamia Campaign.

This isn't me or anyone I know:

Long Road to Baghdad on eBay

zoo

• 9 years later...

Hi all

I know this is an old thread, but I hope someone can help - I am looking for a book for my dad for christmas. His dad was in the 1/1st Battery West Riding RHA, of 52nd Lowland Division the 263rd Brigade RFA and I'm trying to find a book which will be as closely relevant as possible.

I have found The Last Crusade on amazon for £3.99 which sounds good but I was wondering if anyone has any better recommendations for my requirements? If not I shall look through the ones listed about and maybe get him a couple and see how they fair

Many thanks in advance :)

• Admin

As it is an old post the Long Road to Baghdad, for example is available as a free download

https://openlibrary.org/books/OL23316109M/The_long_road_to_Baghdad

Naval and Military Press have a reprint of the original Divisional History unfortunately these were half price earlier in the year but has now gone back up to £28 which is a bit steep for a paperback. Having said that I have a couple and always find them a mine of information (but bear in mind they were mostly written by ex-soldiers in the immediate aftermath of the war).

http://www.naval-military-press.com/fifty-second-lowland-division-1914-1918.html

A recently published book is 'Enemy on the Euphrates' reviewed on the LLT http://www.1914-1918.net/onthetrail/index.php/enemy-on-the-euphrates/ I can only endorse the positive review but having had a quick look at the index there is no mention of units at a tactical level. It is more a strategic overview. In fact this tends to be the 'problem' with most books on the war in the Middle East, a neglected campaign there is the official history again at Naval and Military Press but very little at individual unit level. However if you search for them there are some good histories available online as free downloads, unfortunately I don't have the links to hand at the moment

Ken