The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2nd Lt Richard David Howell MC

David Seymour

I have been doing some research on the Thetford Grammar School Staff register and have come across a master who may be a "new" casualty for us at school: CWGC: 2nd Lt Richard David Howell MC, 2nd Bn. Welsh Regiment died 15/9/18. He is commemorated in Marteville Communal Cemetery, Attilly. His parents were Mr and Mrs Thomas Howell of 10 Grugos Terrace, Port Talbot.

TGS STAFF REGISTER: He attended the County School, Port Talbot and attended University College, Cardiff and University College Aberystwyth before going on to teach in two schools before arriving at Thetford in Sept 1914. He left us in Dec 1914, presumably to enlist (anything in Officers Died?).

The circumstantial evidence from a combination of CWGC and TGS Staff Register seems convincing enough to allow the conclusion that the R D Howells mentioned in these two sources are one and the same.

Does anyone have any info on Lt Howell, or what the 2nd Bn was doing on or about 15/9/18?

Grateful as ever for any help that you can give.

Best wishes,

David

In view of my own name, thought I'd better try to help!

Richard HOWELL is recorded in Officers Died in the Great War as being killed in action, and from the 3rd Battalion attached 2nd Battalion.

2nd Welsh were in 3rd Brigade, 1st Division. They were engaged in the Battle of the Drocourt-Queant Line on 2 & 3/09/18, and in the Battle of Epehy (18/09/18)

Not much I'm afraid.

David,

2nd Lt. Richard David Howell Welsh Regiment (Special Reserve) was awarded the Military Cross in the London Gazette of 23rd April 1918. The citation reads:

'For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when in command of platoon during three days operations. Though heavily shelled, he was able to get a good trench dug. On two occassions, when in charge of large ration parties, which were heavily shelled, he kept them together and thus saved casualties.'

Regards,

Alex.