The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Suffolk Bantams

Guest Barbara

Please could anyone help me with my research into my late father's service history.My father was born in 1894 and enlisted on October 9th 1915 with the Suffolk Regiment.He was very badly wounded but I cannot find out anything about him.The medal Rolls do not show anything at all apart from the two service numbers ( 22100 - Suffolk Regt. & 203745 - Labour Corps )In 1940-42 the late Lord Hailsham who was the M.P. for Oxford managed to get a small lump sum payment for my father's dreadful injuries.There must be documentation somewhere that might tell me where he served etc.I am a pensioner and quite new to this type of research and would be so grateful for any help.

Presumebaly he has no service record in WO/363 and WO/364 at the public records office in Kew. If he were very badly wounded then he may have been discharged as no longer fit for active service. If this is the case then he should have received a Silver Wound (War) Badge which should be recorded on his medal index card. The SWB roll often gives the reason for discharge, so may give you an idea of his wounds.

Rgds,

Alex.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Barbara,

Apart from WO 363/364, you might want to also look at PIN 26, as it sounds as if he received some pension funds. These 3 references are documents held at Kew.

The silver war badge roll, if he applied for one, will give date of enlistment & discharge and his age on the latter. Some Labour Corps SWB rolls give the Coy discharged from, some don't.

What was his name?

Ian

Barbara

The bad news is that you cannot link his number of 203745 to a specific Labour Corps Company.

I think it likely that he served in one of the Agricultural Companies and this would certainly fit in with a man who was badly injured.

Do take heed of Ian's advice. One good thing about files in PIN 26 is that you can search by name online at PROCAT

If you do manage to find his Labour Corps company number let me know and I will tell you what iformatin we have on it.

Barbara, don't know where you live but you could try the Suffolk Record Office, 77 Raingate Street, Bury St Edmunds IP33 2AR Phone 01284 352352 (searchroom).

They have extensive Suffolk Regiment data. Closed at present for building work until March 2004 but phone calls will be redirected.

The Suffolk Regiment Museum, Gibraltar Barracks, Bury St Edmunds might also be able to help.

Further to my previous message.I think that as my father was a little over 5' in height he almost certainly enlisted with the 12th ( Bantam ) Suffolk Regiment. At the moment I cannot substantiate this but I am trying very hard to get more information and would be happy to take all advice that is offered.I seem to be up against a barrier at the moment and cannot make progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Barbara,

I think that it is worth contacting the Suffolk Regiment Museum at Bury St Edmunds. Also someone in the Suffolk Branch of the Western Front Association might be able to help so you could go to the WFA website, look under branches and find the Chairman's address.

Best of luck, Brian

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Barbara,

As promised I had a look for your father's service record yesterday, and I am sorry to report that there was nothing to be found in WO 363/WO 364 or PIN 26. You may also read from another thread that the medal index card microfiche which would have your father's card on it was missing - probably due to some thoughtless oaf who mis-filed it. The matter has been reported.

I am sorry to come up empty-handed but this sometimes happens.

Ian