The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Fred Latham, 11/Mancs

CROONAERT

I've been researching the above soldier for a while now and believed that I had his story more or less covered (with a few gaps). However, I found an obituary to him that seems to contradict a lot that I'd discovered over the last couple of years.

I'd discovered that he had no brothers (obituary states 3 with 2 serving in France) and , going off his birth certificate,that he was 19 years old at his death (obituary states 28). His MIC gives his first theatre of war as Gallipoli (obituary mentions just Egypt, then to France). I'd discovered that he was (90% certain) a farmer (obituary states miner).

Apart from these, everything else (photo, regiment,rank, address, decorations, etc) tallies.

I know that newspaper reports can be innaccurate, but by so much? It's like reading about a different man (it's not a different man, there wouldn't be two with the same name, rank, regiment, and decoration killed at the same time with only one on the local war memorial - would there? :unsure: ).

Which should I believe the most - the obituary or my own research?

Thanks ,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

I would stick by your research. Newspaper obituaries are pretty inaccurate, even today. I suspect the obituary was put together with a rather cavalier air. Did you check the next few additions to see if there was a correction?

I know how infuriating things like this can be!

Take care,

Neil

Dave

I think you trust your own research. The clincher is you have the man's birth certificate so you can be sure of his age. The fact that the obit. gets this wrong must cast doubt on everything else in the piece.

I can see where there may be confusion about Egypt. Unlike the Manc Territorials who spent weeks there, the 11th were only there a couple of days (between 18 & 20 July), before landing at Gallipoli on 6 August. Possible he was ill and stayed there but unlikely. Do you know when he won his MM? Presumably not at gallipoli as that would be another dead giveaway.

Have you been to Stalybridge to look up the unpublished history of the 11th yet?

John

Do you know when he won his MM? ...

...Have you been to Stalybridge to look up the unpublished history of the 11th yet?

Thanks guys.

I thought so. I just needed a second opinion.

(John,

He arrived at Gallipoli on 21st September 1915 (so maybe he did stay a while in Egypt for some reason) and won his MM at near Stuff Redoubt on September 39/30th 1916, and no, I haven't been to Stalybridge yet, but hope to do so a week on Tuesday)

Cheers,

Dave.

Dave

Just had a look at Westlake's "Gallipoli". No mention of receiving draft on 21/9 against the 11th, but they had been composited with 5th Dorsets. There is a reference to Dorsets receiving a draft on 20th or 21st. Presumably, there actually were significant numbers for both as they split back into separate Bns. from then.

Let me know how you get on in Stalyvegas (new "locals" name for the town since the council strung some lights along the canalbank)

John