The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Medal Identification

Woodsc

Hi

Can anyone please help me ???

I am trying to identify details on a set of medals and any additional information relating to the receipient

The information is as follows

WW1 British War Medal ~ F.A Smith SMN M.F.A

Long Service & Good Conduct Medal ~ 276 E.U F.A. Smith.ENGN R.N.R

Hope someone can provide information or point me in the right direction (struggled to find anything on the National Archive)

Regards...Colin

Hi Colin

BWM -SMN -Seaman

MFA - Marine Fleet Auxillary.

LS&GC -ENG - Engineer.

Not sure what the E.U.F.A. is ?.

Colin :unsure:

The RNR Long Service Medal is the Medal with the Dreadnought & "Dirtune Fidelis" on the reverse ;The Monarch in Naval Uniform, for Prewar & WW1 era awards{ie EdVII & George V} on the Obverse,The Medal is worn from a Green Ribbon,later changed to equal Stripes of Green & White{5}

The "E" I believe refers to the term of Service on RNR Medals[ie starting with "A" for one period etc;}.

His WWI medals might be on ADM 171/132 Meb-War Mercantile Marine Reserve: Ratings

Check BT 351 to see if he also applied for the Mercantile Marine War Medal and BT 349 to look for his Register of Seamen index cards for 1918-21, he might also have continued serving and also be in BT 350.

LS&GC -ENGN - Engineman

Not sure what the E.U.F.A. is ?.E.U. Engineman in his third 5 year term of enrollment. EU276 is his service number.

FA are his initials.

Copies of RNR service cards will be in BT377/7 on microfilm at Kew, in service number order; originals at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

Colin,

In addition to the very knowledgable posts above you need to know that there are many sequences of numbers used for RNR ratings, complicated by wartime enlistments.

Your best bet is to consult the BT 377 record cards as per ardua per mare per terram suggests. These are on fiche at TNA. This will give you details on the 5 year enlistment for which he was given the number EU276.

Also, much depends on when the LS&GC was awarded, which King is on the obverse (front) of the medal? This medal will be recorded on one of these medal rolls: -

ADM 171/70 Reserve Long Service Medal: recipients 1909-1912

ADM 171/71 Reserve Long Service Medal: recipients 1912-1937

ADM 171/72 Reserve Long Service Medal: recipients 1938-1949

He would qualify for it after 15 service in the RNR.

Best Regards

Hugh

BT 377/6 Alphabetical indexes to service numbers (microfilm copies): S-Z should show all his service numbers. His service cards should also show when he was awarded the LSGC medal.

E.S. Engineman (Trawler Service) in his first 5 year term of enrollment. EU is just the progression from there.

Colin,

In addition to the very knowledgable posts above you need to know that there are many sequences of numbers used for RNR ratings, complicated by wartime enlistments.

Your best bet is to consult the BT 377 record cards as per ardua per mare per terram suggests. These are on fiche at TNA. This will give you details on the 5 year enlistment for which he was given the number EU276.

Also, much depends on when the LS&GC was awarded, which King is on the obverse (front) of the medal? This medal will be recorded on one of these medal rolls: -

ADM 171/70 Reserve Long Service Medal: recipients 1909-1912

ADM 171/71 Reserve Long Service Medal: recipients 1912-1937

ADM 171/72 Reserve Long Service Medal: recipients 1938-1949

He would qualify for it after 15 service in the RNR.

Best Regards

Hugh

Hi Hugh

The responses I have received reference specific files within the National Archive ~ I,m not really upto speed in searching the archive ~ are the files quoted by your goodself and as per ardua per mare per terram freely available to access or do you have to register/subscribe etc ~ I have located the referenced files but when I try to browse I am not able to view the information

Can you offer any guidance for a novice ????

Colin

Colin,

All of the serials you need to look at are either on microfiche: -

1) BT377 record card(s)

or on microfilm: -

2) ADM 171/70, 71 or 72 (LS&GC roll)

3) ADM 171/124 Sha-Z (RNR ratings WWI campaign medals) or ADM 171/132 Meb-War (Merchantile Marine Reserve ratings WWI campaign medals)

4) BT 377/6 Alphabetical indexes to service numbers (microfilm copies): S-Z, this, as per ardua states,

records the number given to him for each of his enlistments, an example is shown below

BT 377/7

post-8494-1192521408.jpg

Note this page reads from right to left showing numbered enlistements from A for the first 5 year term to E for the fifth 5 year term (the second enlistment number is missing)

In short, everything you need to look at is accessed in person at TNA. If you can't get there let me know.

Below is an example of an LS&GC roll

ADM 171/70

post-8494-1192521303.jpg

Best Regards

Hugh

Sorry, these files that I've quoted are all offline in the Microfilm Reading Room at Kew, including the Merchant Navy records. Below are the details of how to visit Kew and get a ticket. The records are free to access, but cost to copy. There are various threads on the forum about the Fleet Air Arm Museum where the original cards are held. As the ship names were recorded in red they did not always copy well for the microfisches.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/visit/p...e=ddmenu_visit1

(the second enlistment number is missing)

From what I have seen in WW1 the RNR seem to have suspended their renumbering both for the usual 5 year re enrolments and even if they swapped betweem sections. So men kept the number they started the war with(in this case his A number) for longer than normal and skipped a number.

• 1 year later...

Hi

Can anyone please help me ???

I am trying to identify details on a set of medals and any additional information relating to the receipient

The information is as follows

WW1 British War Medal ~ F.A Smith SMN M.F.A

Long Service & Good Conduct Medal ~ 276 E.U F.A. Smith.ENGN R.N.R

Hope someone can provide information or point me in the right direction (struggled to find anything on the National Archive)

Regards...Colin

I presume it is normal that in this case the BWM doesn't have the man's service number? Can anyone confirm?

Cheers

SteveB

I presume it is normal that in this case the BWM doesn't have the man's service number? Can anyone confirm?

Yes, as far as I know the MFA did not use service numbers. It was derived from the merchant service.