The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

45th BTN MGC CORPS

Guest Guard 1

Hello,

I got off a friend of mine last year a pair to the machine gun corps. Named 102302 PTE.F.BOLLARD. M.G.C. I went on to CWGC and found that he died on the 23/08/1917 and was in the 45th battalion. He is commerated on the Tyne Cot cemetery.

I know very little about the MGC and would love to find out some more infomation on the 45th BTN at this time.

Where were they fighting?

How many served with them at this time?

What sort of involment may PTE.BOLLARD had with them?

Any information would be great.

All the best Rowland.

Well, unfortunately CWGC have got it wrong, on two counts.

1. MGC battalions weren't formed until early 1918 (Feb-Mar onwards)

2. There was no 45 Bn, as the 45th Division (of which it would have been the MG BN) was 'dispersed in India')

It is more likely to have been 45 Company MGC - of 45 Bde, 15 (Scottish) Division.

http://www.1914-1918.net/15div.htm

Follow the above to the main site for 15 Division. Where 45 Bde went, so did 45 Coy.

45th Brigade were attacking Borry Farm, Potsdam and Vampir Farm near Ypres.

The 13th Royal Scots and the 11th Argyles led the attack but their leading companies were virtually wiped out and the attack bogged down in the rain and mud under heavy MG fire.

Aye

Malcolm

Many thanks thats great.

Would there be a war diary for the date he died which might pin down his movements?

Also does anyone know if he was KIA or DOW?

Rowland.

Hello,

Just been on soldiers died. Show he was KIA and came from Finedon in Northamptonshire. Also shows he serverd in the Essex regiment number 5903.

Could there be any other information out there on this gallant soldier?

As Ian said consult SDITGW for details, main libraries have copies or ask one of the Pals on the forum. Get hold of 3rd Ypres Day-by-Day Account by Chris McCarthy ISBN 1-85409-405-X, the History of the 15th (Scottish) Division 1914-1919 by Lt Col J Stewart and John Buchan both available from Naval and Mlitary Press.

Aye

Malcolm