The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"Promise of Greatness"

Diane Alden

Hello Everybody,

"Promise of Greatness" The 1914-1918 War. 42 original essays by people such as Robert Graves, Sir Compton Mackenzie, Sir Basil Liddell Hart and Vera Brittain to name a few. The forward is by Sir Herbert Read. It was first published in 1968.

I bought this book a couple of weeks ago in a tiny secondhand bookshop in Cromarty on the Black Isle in Scotland. It was leaning in the window collect dust and had been for quite a while according to the owner. I've only had time to briefly looked through it so am waiting for a cold wet day at a weekend to curl up with a cup of coffee, Twix and the time to appreciate it.

On the flyleaf it says that Sir Liddell Hart discusses strategy and the front, Amos Wilder considers the awakening to change caused by the war, Gerald Brenan's essay is titled "A survivor's story" and Basil Willey title is "A schoolboy in the War"

I just wondered if anybody else has got this book and has read it

Diane

I have it at home. Can't say I've read through it all - but it's an easy book to dip in and out of. More anecdotal - if I remember correctly - than 'Facing Armageddon' (which is an excellent collection of essays)

Diane

I have had it on my bookshelves for many years. It contains some excellent first hand accounts and essays. One example for Siegfried Sassoon fans is the contribution by Vivan de Sola Pinto, who served as a subaltern in Sassoon's company in France in summer 1918. I'm sure that you will find plenty to enjoy in it.

Charles M

You've got a bargain Diane. As Charles says, it is an excellent collection of memoirs. Basil Willey also wrote at length about his war experiences in his autobiography Spots of Time

Thanks for all your replies. I have decided that I am going to start reading it this weekend whatever the weather. I have my Twix ready and waiting so the washing and cooking can wait! :D

Diane