The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Quartermaster

Michael

Can anyone give me some information on quartermasters (the army variety). I'd like to know what their role was and where they would carry out this role.

I've noticed that in the Buffs they tended to be ex-rankers and Hon Lt's or Capt's. Was this the norm ?

Michael

The Quartermaster or QM was often an ex senior other rank - most of the time commissioned but at times filled by a WO1 (Warrant Officer Class 1).

In an infantry battalion the QM would be attached to BHQ and was the individual primarily resoponsible for maintaining the main Battalion Q-store. This would included the ordering, obtaining, storage and allocation of equipment, weapons, ammunition, clothing and rations etc.

The responsibility for these matters was then passed onto Company level to the CQMS or Company Quarter Master Sergeant - usually of the rank of Staff Sergeant who maintained a Company Q-store. He was in turn responsible for the supplying of his Company and the Rifle Platoons of each Company through the Platoon Sergeants. The Platoon Sergeant was in turn repsonsible for supplying individual sections through the Section 2IC's (usually a Lance Corporal) who were responsible for arranging and supplying rations etc. to their section.

These supply arrangements are very similar to those still used in the British and Australian armies.

Thanks for the reply. Do you think that an officer who has been promoted in this way has the same amount of respect from subordinates and peers as one that takes a regular commission ?

Michael

The QMs I have met were more than capable of handling themselves with the 'officer class' if I can use such an outdated expression. They had been 'through the mill', gaining respect from all sides. Any regt whose officers tried to 'look down' on the QM would be extremely foolish. The Royal Ulster Rifles QM in Korea was the late T.P. Smith, a tough soldier who ended his army career with the rank of Major. He was 'no dozer' and kept his bttn going when the equipment shortages hit hard and the Korean winter set in. He's worth a story in himself. I have met NCOs who have 'had diffs' with the QM on a personal basis (because of past history) but they always seemed to fully respect the rank and function. PS I'm not ex-army but have worked with them on many occasions and I'm drawing on what friends have told me. It may all have been radically different in the 1st war.

Do you think that an officer who has been promoted in this way has the same amount of respect from subordinates and peers as one that takes a regular commission ?

Absolutely, if not more so, particularly as they may often be former RSMs of the battalion. A wet-behind-the-ears subaltern straight out of Sandhurst should find both the RSM and QM to be good sources of advice, assuming that he is prepared to listen that is.

The Quartermaster or QM was often an ex senior other rank - most of the time commissioned but at times filled by a WO1 (Warrant Officer Class 1).

I am very interested to hear of WO I holding QM post in 1418. I hitherto knew of none, and it is a subject that interests me greatly. Examples please?

I am unable to comment on the relatrionship between the QM and his CO in the Great War but certainly the relationship today can be very close. He is one of the key characters (and opinion formers) in any regiment; with as much input on Bn matters as the RSM (and in the Hosehold Divison, considerable influence in the Sgts' Mess.

No officer (with any sense) would treat the QM with anything but respct; his advice is regularly sought (normally behind closed dors) and may be freely offered where it is felt appropriate.

The Quartermaster or QM was often an ex senior other rank - most of the time commissioned but  at times filled by a WO1 (Warrant Officer Class 1).

I am very interested to hear of WO I holding QM post in 1418. I hitherto knew of none, and it is a subject that interests me greatly. Examples please?

I agree the QM was usually a commissioned officer and on establishment the QM appointment was obviously that of an officer. In the AIF (especially later in the war perhaps due to mounting officer casualties) he was usually a former WO - perhaps a former RQMS, RSM etc. I have seen a number of instances (AIF unit histories/citations etc.) in which the QM has been referred to as a WO or WO/Hon Lieut etc. Certainly an appointment at the non-commissioned rank would likely be temporary, prior to eventual commissioning, or when the usual QM is away doing something else.

The QM position in the more modern Australian Army is quite often filled, at times, by a WO1......again usually prior to going on and becoming commissioned or acting in the absence of the usual QM. The QM is often a most experienced former Warrant Officer, sometimes even a former RSM, and is usually greatly respected by all. Nowadays one of the main reasons for WO's seeking a commission in posistions such as a QM seem to be the benefits of an officers entitlements and pension over that of a WO.