The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Regimental Histories

ianw

I have 2 copies of the 1932 published 15th Hussars history. One is of slightly inferior quality to the other lacking a coloured flash on the cover and also being very slightly smaller. Is anyone aware if cheaper versions were offered for other ranks (or tight-wad officers!)

Could it simply be a reprint and funds were running out? Perhaps the 'posh' editions were presentation copies?

Bob.

Books binding of this period can change or be different for many reasons, some books did have two types of binding, Germans ones were often sold into two binding, the hard card ones, and the cloth bound so called "presentation" copies, a good example being De Krieg Zur See.

Also some books were sold disbound to allow ones' binder to bind the book in vellum and other fine materials. This was often the fate of those privately printed.

If the book is different inside I'm surprised because this books where not just done to record what had happened but to honour and record the names of those who serve, and those who fell, and as such had high production values for the time, and the maps where done in colour.

So to answer your question yes there were sometimes 3 types produced, 1) Disbound/paper covers, 2) Cloth, and 3) Hard card.

Just to show the extremes of bindng I have in my collection a copy of the OH "History Of The Blockcade, Emergency Departments" by Hugh W C Davis, C.B.E., which is the history dealing with the administration of the blockade, secret and a very important work. I have what was originally the Foreign Office Library copy, bound in what's called a 'prison binding', i.e cut card and a tape spine. It's currently having a cloth box being made for it by my father.

Of course Indian books produced in this period have many types of binding, including leather and half leather.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Mart

Thanks Mart & Bob. The 15H books in terms of content are identical. The cheap copy is a lot less age spotted. I wonder if the paper is different too.

I have a copy of the History of the 59th Rifles F.F., 1843 - 1923, published by the doyen of British Regimental history publishers, Gale and Polden in 1926. My copy is in full dark green Morocco, with gilt regimental crest on the cover and gilt titles and decoration to the spine. Roger Perkins' indispensible Regiments - Regiments and Corps of the British Empire and Commonwealth 1758-1993: A Critical Bibliography of their Published Histories, lists this title as being bound in dark green cloth, and bearing the title 'Regimental History of the 6th Royal Battalion, 13th Frontier Force Rifles (Scinde), 1843-1923' (which title appears on the title page of my copy). Perkins then has a NOTE, reading: 'A copy of this has been seen in full Morocco, but it is not known if this was a 'de luxe' edition or a special commission. Confusingly, the title shown on the spine is HISTORY OF THE 59th RIFLES F.F., 1843-1923. The contents are identical.'

As the book described in this note is identical to the one I have, it clearly was not a 'one-off' special commission, so it looks as though a 'de luxe' and a 'standard' edition of this regimental history at least was produced. (Set me back £250 a decade ago, I might add!)

ciao,

GAC