The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte Rene ALIPHON Mauritius Volunteers, d 16/01/19

christine liava'a

Remembering Today:

Pte Rene ALIPHON, 975 Mauritius Volunteers who died aged 22 on 16.01.18. Port Louis Western Cemetery, Mauritius

Sorry, sneaking in early with this one, which I can't resist, since I'm going away for the weekend, & leaving soon!

Name: ALIPHON, RENE

Initials: R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Mauritius Volunteers

Unit Text: "A" Coy.

Date of Death: 16/01/1918

Service No: 975

Additional information: Son of Benedict and Alix Aliphon (nee Ribet), of 18, Labourdonnais St., Port Louis, Mauritius.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 20. 122.

Cemetery: PORT LOUIS WESTERN CEMETERY

I have emailed the owner of the Aliphon family page

Aliphon Family page

and asked him to reply directly here,if he has more information, as I will be off line.

well chris you have managed,on this forum,to beat physics.you are now a time lord

as is christine.

by doing this you both have proved that the forum can,and does,achive the imposible.

WELL DONE.

JOHN. :D

Never one to talk down my own powers, I have to admit that this phenomenon is caused by a technical device and not by me. Christine as you know is in NZ and the clock on her PC is set to her local time. As I imagine just about everyone's PC is. The script that executes whenever you request a forum page that gives you 'Remembering today' reads the PC clock, figures out what day it is, and gives you 'today's person'. When NZ clicks into a new day, Christine sees the next person - 12 hours ahead of UK, and I guess 18 hours ahead of members in parts of US and Canada.

Christine has agreed not to post a reply on the daily casualty before midnight GMT which is the time most Forum members see the new name - to avoid confusion.

As she was going away this weekend, she posted early.

And here I am back again, after a weekend in the Hawkes Bay- temperatures in the high 20s, sun, surf, and beautiful fresh summer fruit and veges!

AND, no-one has posted anything more about Monsieur Aliphon!

I see his relative has joined up here - Clancy plus a number which i have forgotten,- but he knows nothing more

Does anyone know anything about the Mauritius Volunteers?

CHRISTINE

Once again I have managed to stop a thread in full flow.For this I am truely sorry.Together with most of the palls I have looked forward to your research each day.Please keep it up because they are briliant.I do hope you had a good week-end.Please can we have some of your sun as its icy and cold here in the U.K..Keep up the good work.

JOHN.

Guest Pete Wood

Christine, I believe you will find out more about the Mauritius troops from Ivor Lee.

My understanding is that most of the troops raised on Mauritius were destined to become part of the Labour Corps. As Ivor is our resident LC expert, perhaps he will know more.