The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Fields Of Memory / Vauquois

Dickie

I've just been revisiting 'Fields Of Memory' by Anne Roze and John Foley. It's got some great present-day photos of the battlefields - very atmospheric.

There is a very interesting but small section on the 1915 fighting in the Vauquois area. I would like to read about this subject in more detail...can anyone suggest a good book covering this?

many thanks

Rich

To the best of my knowledge there are no English language books that cover the fighting at Vauquois in any detail but I think the US forces did fight there in 1918 so if there is anything available it might be covered in American publications.

To the best of my knowledge there are no English language books that cover the fighting at Vauquois in any detail but I think the US forces did fight there in 1918 so if there is anything available it might be covered in American publications.

The US 35th Division, Missouri and Kansas National Guard with Harry Truman commanding an artillery battery took it 1st day of Meuse Argonne offensive September 26. The division was quite unsuccessful.

As far as I know there is nothing in English about the fighting at Vauquois but there are several books in French or German. If that's any use, I'll post the titles?

Christina

Thanks Paul, Christina.

Christina, could you post up some French-language ones? I've only very basic language skills but I'm willing to have a crack!

cheeky P.S. don't suppose you have any plans to do one?

Robert Ferrell, a fine historian, has a book about the 35th Division WW1 which I have ordered but don't have yet, will shortly, will let you know how much it has about Vauquois.

Dickie,

Look for "Nous autres à Vauquois" by André Pezard, and

" la Butte meutrie,Vauquois" . This was a collective work produced by the Friends of the Butte de Vauquois (including me. I wrote the 35th Div. bit and the retaking of the hill!).

Also "En position à Vauquois" by Adolf Buchner. This is a French translation of Adi Buchner's German work. It is the war diary of pionneer Hermann Hoppe. It's published by Druckerie F. Steinmeier, Nördlingen, Germany.

Have a look at the Vauquois website to see if you can order them there.

Christina