The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The German Army on Vimy Ridge 1914-1917

Al Parsons

Any new book by Jack is most welcome.

If he is collecting ideas, and we are allowed to do Christmas wishes aloud, I would particularly like one on The Evolution of German Tactics during the GW, illustrated as ever with: 1) translated eye witness accounts, and 2) primary source documentation, and not just from the Western Front perspective, the pressures of a two front war always impacted how the Germans thought and acted , for example the development of artillery tactics done on the Eastern Front prior to April 1918. In some way it would be covering the pivotal moments of the Great War from their perspective, but more the lessons learnt and their responses, something that clearly comes out of his current works, but stringing them together, year on year.

The last chapter could actually examine how the German Army would have coped after November 1918, if they fought on based on their latest 1918 tactical thinking, resources and ability to change, because he would already articulated where they were in late 1918 via the preceding chapters, and the German Armies ability to act under pressure. It could be a seminal work.

Apologies if I'm being presumptuous.

In a former life, I think Jack was on the Prussian General Staff writing General Staff appreciations!

Regards,

Mart

PS In full Gothic text too!

PS In full Gothic text too!

Thanks....that should help with my German GCSE evening class <_<