The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Capt H.G Massy-Miles MC

Matt Dixon

Searched the online Gazette with no success can anyone help with the reason for the award of the MC to Capt HG Massy-Miles, MO 2/8 London Regt, severely gassed at Villers-Brettoneux and died at the 8th General Hospital, 26th April 1918 aged 32.

Matt,

I spend a lot of time getting no joy from the online search engine foe the Gazettes. Try the set in hardback form at Bham Reference Library.

Rob

Rob,

I will do that, trouble is I have no idea when he won the MC, so that's one heck of a lot of Gazette's to go through!

T/Capt. Harry Godfrey Massy-Miles R.A.M.C. London Gazzette 26.7.18 ( edn 30813)

"For conspicuos gallantry and devotion during several days of severe fighting, when he kept in close touch with the battalion, working unceasingly, without rest during the whole period, dressing the wounded inclusing the French. He showed great initiative in establishing forward R.A.P.'s reconoitoring their sites beforehand under heavy hostile shell fire, thus greatly assisting the rapid evacuation of casualties. His courage and cheerfulness throughout a period of great strain were beyond priase "

Sounds like the MC was well deserved.

Regards. Simon

Simon,

Thanks very very much indeed, you have made my day!

Very kind of you.