The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

FM Sir Wm Robertson CIGS in the Great War

PhilB

Never been able to find a copy I could afford!

Arm

One only on ABE at £75 plus p&p

Andy

I did find this one review but decided it might not be quite representative! It`s quoted verbatim.

By Devl's Advocate "RSHA" (Hölle) -

A plainly absurd biography on Robertson, CIGS, and the only Fiied Marshal of the British Army who rose from the ranks, and most incompetent at that.

Whilst his bravery is indoubted, any sane person will question Robertson's qualifications to plan, and lead the BEF. A born intriguer and a devious person to boot, Robertson was an abject failure and his sacking by Lloyd George was long overdue.

And Hiag should get it too if only the PM had the courage.

Well smack me stupid with a fork!

The reviewer must have got his men crossed.

Kept the BEF supplied in 1914, by throwing away the rule book.

Able intelliegent officer in early years

Fine linguist

Actually thought Bite and Hold was the way foward rather than elan attack

Most incompetant CIGS..my a**e, Nicholson, French, Wolfe Murray, Murray, Douglas etal would come way up the list.

Blimey I have not been as lost for words in ages. I almost think you made that up Phil just to wind me up.

Where did you find that review?

Arm

It was a review on an amazon advert but now seems to have been removed. His other "reviews" of books were of a similar way out nature. I think he called himself devil`s advocate and there was "Holle" after his name.

Found it at:-

http://www.amazon.com/Field-Marshal-Sir-Wi...customerReviews

0 of 7 people found the following review helpful:

Robertson, the lesser Field Marshal, September 13, 2004

By Devl's Advocate "RSHA" (Hölle) - See all my reviews

A plainly absurd biography on Robertson, CIGS, and the only Fiied Marshal of the British Army who rose from the ranks, and most incompetent at that.

Whilst his bravery is indoubted, any sane person will question Robertson's qualifications to plan, and lead the BEF. A born intriguer and a devious person to boot, Robertson was an abject failure and his sacking by Lloyd George was long overdue.

And Hiag should get it too if only the PM had the courage.

Comment (1) | Permalink | Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)

You can see his other reviews on the link.

Speaking of Amazon reviews, I could hardly believe this one. It is about "Private 12768" - one of the best WW1 memoirs you could read. It is by "karzi1":

"I Found this Book a very Tiresome Read,it reads almost like reading a Scots Version of "To the last ridge",both Books have the Ability to Numb the Mind of the Reader,and i can assure you that Both These Books are Completely PUT DOWNABLE.As i am a dedicated Student of the Great War,i would not suggest to the Rookie to start from scratch on this mostleaden And Boring Tome,i in no way wish to Denigrate this Book,but i think that it is no way inspiring,or does it do any justice to the PBI that fought and fell in WW1".

The bold text is mine.

Back to Robertson:

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Oct 31 2007, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whilst his bravery is indoubted, any sane person will question Robertson's qualifications to plan, and lead the BEF.

Well, as his job was not to plan and lead the BEF, and that physical bravery was not often a demand of a War Office job, that's all right then.

Dear oh me! RSHA certainly seems to have it in for us Brits! His nom de plume does, however, give a good inidication of where he is coming from.

Charles M

For anybody (like me) not familiar with RSHA:-

The RSHA, or Reichssicherheitshauptamt (Reich Security Main Office), was a subordinate organization of the SS created by Heinrich Himmler on September 22 1939, through the merger of the Sicherheitsdienst (SD, or Security Agency), the Gestapo (Secret State Police) and the Kriminalpolizei (Criminal Police). The organization's stated duty was to fight all "enemies of the Reich" within and outside the borders of Nazi Germany. Included within the rubric of "enemies" were communists, freemasons, Jews, Gypsies and other "racially undesirables"; thus the RSHA coordinated activities among a number of different agencies with wideranging responsibilities.

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Oct 31 2007, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For anybody (like me) not familiar with RSHA:-

The RSHA, or Reichssicherheitshauptamt (Reich Security Main Office), was a subordinate organization of the SS created by Heinrich Himmler on September 22 1939, through the merger of the Sicherheitsdienst (SD, or Security Agency), the Gestapo (Secret State Police) and the Kriminalpolizei (Criminal Police). The organization's stated duty was to fight all "enemies of the Reich" within and outside the borders of Nazi Germany. Included within the rubric of "enemies" were communists, freemasons, Jews, Gypsies and other "racially undesirables"; thus the RSHA coordinated activities among a number of different agencies with wideranging responsibilities.

You didn't mention critiquing

Mick

If I ever write a book, then I hope that RSHA gives it a really bad review, given the company that I'd then be in!

PS. I can't believe that he's actually read many of the books that he criticises. His view on those that I've read are bizarre & surely nobody with as low an opinion as he has of Richard Holmes & Gary Sheffield would buy a second book by the same author, never mind a third. I'd guess that he's just skimmed through many of the books, seen that they don't describe the British as cowards & scoundrels & the Germans as supermen & gone off to write his negative review.

Well, the so-called book review is pretty weird - at best.

A little while ago, I opened up the old piggy bank and purchased Robertson's Soldiers and Statesmen. It is a fine read. What a level-headed chap.

Of course, I am a "westerner" through and through, so that would be my conclusion.

Interestingly enough, Lloyd George, Robertson and Haig - with a lot of help from the French and a lot of moral support from the Yanks - actually managed to win the war together. Who would have thought!

OK, I shall now take cover!

Interestingly enough, Lloyd George, Robertson and Haig - with a lot of help from the French and a lot of moral support from the Yanks - actually managed to win the war together. Who would have thought!

Although:-

Forward Joe Soap's army, marching without fear,

With our old commander, safely in the rear.

He boasts and skites from morn till night,

And thinks he's very brave,

But the men who really did the job are dead and in their grave.

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Nov 1 2007, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But the men who really did the job are dead and in their grave.

Quite true. On the other hand, it was not Haig's job to go forward and get himself killed.