The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Regiment Identification Needed

Max

Hello Everyone

A friend asked me whether I could identify the unit to which these men belonged. I haven't a clue and I was wondering if any of the resident experts have an idea. Please note the loaves of bread being held by the men at either end of the front row.

Andy

post-1-1074372563.jpg

Thanks for that Ian.

I thought that maybe the loaves of bread were a cryptic reference to something or other. However, you are most likely right as they look like the best fed WW1 grouping that I have ever seen :lol:

Thanks again

Andy

The pouches belonged to Patt. 03 Bandolier equipment. The pouches are the Mk II pouches which held 15 Rds of .303 ammunition. Nothing to do with baking.

Joe Sweeney

Thanks Joe

The one thing I omitted to mention is that written on the back of the photo is printed "Bulford Camp,Salisbury Plain"

Andy

Guest Ian Bowbrick
The pouches belonged to Patt. 03 Bandolier equipment.  The pouches are the Mk II pouches which held 15 Rds of .303 ammunition.  Nothing to do with baking.

Joe Sweeney

I assume you have never tasted scoff - having lived off it, I can tell you that if it was ever revealed that lead was included, it would only confirm a long held suspicion of me and my old mates :lol:

Ian Bowbrick

Great photograph Andy, the soldiers in the group are wearing two different types of caps, would one of the types of headwear be a "Cor Blimey Hat" ?? All the best.

Rob.