The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Teaching Company: WWI Lectures Sale, $50.00+S&H

Gamburd

This isn't a book, but I thought some of you might be interested in this "World War I: The 'Great War'" series of lectures being offered by the Teaching Company, and are on sale until 11/29/07. I don't have this particular series, but I've ordered some of their other courses, and they are interesting to listen to.

There are 36 lectures (30 minutes / lecture) which cover the First World War and its aftermath. It is a survey course, so its focus is general, but it may make an interesting gift for people who are new to the subject, or if you just want to learn more and have a better understanding about the First World War.

You can purchase them on audiotape $49.95 U.S. (originally $199.95) , audio CD $69.95 (originally $269.95), or DVD $99.95 ($374.95) + Shipping & Handling (there is an unspecified international rate; it is for certain more than $10.00).

The DVD course says it contains "more than 800 pictures, several maps, and on-screen text. There are original photos of battlefields, soldiers, historic figures, events, and modern photos of memorials. Some images may not be suitable for young viewers." But this visual information is just additional information that they put on the DVD's to try and get people to buy them; you can probably find most of the photos in books from the library or on the web. I don't think the lecturer refers to them while lecturing.

The lecturer is Vejas Gabriel Liulevicius (Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania (an Ivy League school), an Associate Professor of History at the University of Tennessee; it says he has won the U of T's Excellence in Teaching Award, and has written a highly praised book, War Land on the Eastern Front: Culture, National Identity, and the German Occupation in the First World War.

The Teaching Company is located in Chantilly, Virginia. Here's contact information:

The Teaching Company

(Go To their Modern History section)

http://TEACH12.com

FAX: 703-378-3819

Phone (I doubt this would work in the U.K.):

1-800-TEACH-12

(1-800-832-2412)