The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Units and battalions at Battle of Le Transloy

mysticalmac

can anyone give me and information as to what battalions were at the Battle of Transloy on or roundabout 12th Oct 1916, i am particulary in terested in the 7th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders or a list of units that were at that battle.

Thanks

Hi Allan,

Westlake offers the following from 'Battalions on the Somme'

7th (Service) Battalion Seaforth Highlanders. 26th Brigade, 9th (Scottish) Division:

From Celestines Wood moved to Grove Town Camp (11/7). To Billon Wood (4/7), trenches north-east of Carnoy (8/7), front line north-east corner of Bernafay Wood (11/7). Attack on Longueval (14/7) - in support at Montauban Alley and in action around Waterlot Farm. Positions held until relieved and to Carnoy (19/7). Casualties since (1/7) - 22 officers and 429 other ranks. To Sandpit Camp (20/7). Entrained at Mericourt for Hangest (23/7) and from there marched to Ailly-le-Haut-Clocher. Entrained at Longpre for Bryas (25/7) and from there to Bruay. Arrived Franvillers (7/10). To Albert (8/10). Entrained at Becourt for Mametz (9/10) and from there marched to Bazentin-le-Grand. Moved forward into trenches north-east of Eaucourt l'Abbaye. Attack on Snag Trench (12/10) - advancing on right suffered heavily from machine gun fire upon entering No Man's Land . British barrage falling short also caused casualties. Relieved 3 a.m. (13/10) and to Bazentin- le-Grand. Casualties since (10/10) - 467. To reserve positions east of High Wood (18/10) - moved forward to Flers Line and Drop Alley at 5.30 p.m. Relieved and to Mametz Wood (19/10). To High Wood (23/10), Mametz Wood (24/10), Albert (25/10) - billets in Rue de Becourt. To Franvillers (27/10), Pierregot (28/10), Dainville (29/10).

cheers, Jon

Hi Allan

Here is a list of all units in acton on the 12th Oct. 1916.

1/R. Warwickshire

1/R. Irish

2/Duke of Wellington's

2/York & Lancaster

9/Suffolk

1/West Yorkshire

14/Durham

Newfoundland Regt.

1/Essex

7/Suffolk

7/Norfolk

2/R. Scots

17/ Manchester

2/Bedfordshire

17/King's

7/Seaforth Highlanders

10/Argyll & Sutherland

2/Regiment South Africans

4/Regiment South Africans

Annette

hi all

thank you very much for the quick responses and some brilliant info there but could anyone point me in the direction as to where i could get further info into 7th (Service) Battalion Seaforth Highlanders. 26th Brigade, 9th (Scottish) Division: as i cant seem to find anything (probably me being a novice at this) i sure would be grateful of anything.

And Jon you mentioned Westlake sorry for the ignorance but what is Westlake?

Thank you all again

Allan

Allan,

From Chris McCarthy The Somme: The Day by Day Account

Thursday 12 Oct. III Corps, 9th Division.

The Division attacked under cover of smoke laid by 4th Special Company RE on Little Wood and the Butte. The 7th Seaforth (26 Brigade) in attack came under severe machine gun fire, as did 10th Argylls who came up in support. Some 200 yards of ground was taken and they dug in that night next to the South African Brigade.

Cheers

Chris

And Jon you mentioned Westlake sorry for the ignorance but what is Westlake?

No worries Allan, Ray Westlake, military historian, has written several books with information taken from battalion war diaries. He is also a recognised authority on badges and insinia including the definitive work 'Collecting metal shoulder titles'

cheers, Jon

• 8 years later...

Dont know if Allan is  still around  on here  but  a Great Uncle of mine was killed in that battle on 12th Oct, Samuel Allan. No: S/ 6496. Same 9th division, 7th Seaforths, His name is on the Thiepval monument. If you have dug up any more info about that day I would be grateful for anything.

Hi

There were3 battalions of Royal Fusiliers City of London Regiment I think they were the 8th Battalion 7th Battalion and the 10th Battalion. If Im wrong then please correct me there are a lot of them buried in Ligny Thilloy British Cemetery.In fact there are also some buried in Bancourt British Cemetery nearly all from the Oct 1916 fighting.

Kind Regards 

Andy

• 4 years later...

Hi I have found out that my 2nd great Uncle William Stuart Webb died of wounds  in the battle of Transloy ride.

He was in the Kings Royal rifles,if anyone as a detailed account of there actions in this battle I would be very interested to know.

1 hour ago, dani57 said:

Hi I have found out that my 2nd great Uncle William Stuart Webb died of wounds  in the battle of Transloy ride.

He was in the Kings Royal rifles,if anyone as a detailed account of there actions in this battle I would be very interested to know.

Hi Dani.

This might be your man: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/554164/W S WEBB/

If so, he died on 5 October 1916.  As you say he died of wounds, it seems as though he may have been wounded around 15 September when 21 KRRC were involved in the advance through Flers and suffered heavy casualties.  They hit serious trouble later on in the day when they were at the northern end of the village when Lord Feversham was killed.  The war diary can be downloaded for free if you register from the National Archives: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354403

If you have an Ancestry subscription, the action on 15 September begins here: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/60779/images/43849_2643_4-00030?ssrc=&backlabel=Return

There is a good report on it also in Trevor Pidgeon's excellent book "The Tanks at Flers" (but clearly that book is about the action of the tanks but it has very good trench maps).  Also, I understand that it is covered in Anthony Eden's book "Another World 1897-1917" who at the time was a subaltern in 21 KRRC.

Hope this helps.

4 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

Hi Dani.

This might be your man: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/554164/W S WEBB/

If so, he died on 5 October 1916.  As you say he died of wounds, it seems as though he may have been wounded around 15 September when 21 KRRC were involved in the advance through Flers and suffered heavy casualties.  They hit serious trouble later on in the day when they were at the northern end of the village when Lord Feversham was killed.  The war diary can be downloaded for free if you register from the National Archives: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354403

If you have an Ancestry subscription, the action on 15 September begins here: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/60779/images/43849_2643_4-00030?ssrc=&backlabel=Return

There is a good report on it also in Trevor Pidgeon's excellent book "The Tanks at Flers" (but clearly that book is about the action of the tanks but it has very good trench maps).  Also, I understand that it is covered in Anthony Eden's book "Another World 1897-1917" who at the time was a subaltern in 21 KRRC.

Hope this helps.

Hi I cannot thank you enough for this.