The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Books by Gunners

davidfegga

Hi All

I'm trying to get a feel for what my Granddad went through as a gunner in the RFA, and wondered if there were any books which gave the view from the 'Other Ranks'. e.g the nitty gritty of manning the guns and horses, fatigues, etc.

I've read 'Field guns in France', 'Echo of the guns', and 'In the Cannon's Mouth' etc , but these are all from officers point of view, and while containing some glimpses into battery life, would like to find something that gave the everyday experience of life in the RFA from the men's point of view.

Is there anything?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Some years ago I read a book by Aubrey Wade called "Gunner on the Western Front", but I cannot remember now whether he was an officer or not. I seem to remember that it was quite detailed about the life of artillerymen.

Regards,

Martin

Hi Dave,

Some years ago I read a book by Aubrey Wade called "Gunner on the Western Front", but I cannot remember now whether he was an officer or not. I seem to remember that it was quite detailed about the life of artillerymen.

Regards,

Martin

Agree with Martin - you should read Aubrey Wade's The War of the Guns: Western Front 1917. It caused some controversy when it first came out in 1936 due to the graphic photographs amongst the illustrations of what shellfire did to men. It's been reprinted many times and is available in paperback format. Wade was an artillery signaller. A highly recommended first-hand account.

ciao,

GAC

Dave

It may not be apparent that Martin and George are writing about the same book. Gunner on the Western Front is the title of the 1959, and later, re-print of Aubrey Wade's 1936 book The War of the Guns.

It's well worth reading.

Regards

Gareth

Dave

I am currently editing a diary/journal by Gunner Ivor Hanson, who served as a signaller with the RFA during WWI. This will be published next October by Suttons under Hanson's title 'Plough and Scatter'.

Hanson volunteered in 1916, although still too young for overseas service, spent a good part of 1917 training at Bettisfield (Shropshire - Welsh borders) and went to France early in 1918. His first real taste of action came on 21 March when the German Spring Offensive began. The diary contains some excellent descriptions of daily life, both in training and on active service. There are also excellent character studies of officers and men of Hanson's battery. I shall be meeting Hanson's son in the near future to select some illustrative material for the diary. Will be nice to see photographs of Ivor Hanson whose words I've been reading on and off for the last few months.

ALAN

Not RFA but RGA is a superb memoir, "Occasional gunfire" by Alec Paton MM.

The two by young RFA officer P. J. Campbell, "The ebb and flow of battle" and "In the cannon's mouth", are well worth reading.

A very very fine novel you could try is 'Medal Without Bar' by Richard Blaker Hodder and Stoughton, 1930. Copies are available fairly cheaply - try abebooks.com.

Regards

Dave

There is short article by the artist William Roberts who was 4.5" Howitzer Gunner, Royal Field Artillery 1916–1918

It can be found on the www via a search for 'The William Roberts Society'

Bob