The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Good Soldier

George Armstrong Custer

517V-lz5q6L._SS500_.jpg

Following hard on the heels of last year's Douglas Haig: Architect of Victory by Walter Reed, The Good Soldier: A Biography of Douglas Haig by Gary Mead was published by Atlantic Books on November 8 at £30 (currently on Amazon at £15). I don't have a copy myself yet, but here's the publisher's blurb:

Haig commanded the British Army in France for much of the First World War and remained a robustly popular figure at the time of his death in 1928. It was only much later, in the 1960s, that he was recast in the role of the unthinking butcher sending his cheerful Tommies to the slaughter on the Somme and at Passchaendaele. Even now, revisionist military historians still pick over the bleached bones of Haig's campaigns, but they evince little interest in Haig himself, who remains an elusive and contradictory figure. A competent if undistinguished career officer, he reached the very top of his profession by dint of ambition and a passionate sense of duty towards army and nation. A cavalryman to the core, he enthusiastically supported tanks and other new technology on the battlefield. He was also an intensely private man, who could appear aloof and at a loss for words. Still, he devoted the last decade of his life to promoting the welfare of his soldiers and was instrumental in establishing both the British Legion-and the rituals of Remembrance Sunday. Previous biographies of Halg have lurched between haglography and character assassination. Instead, The Good Soldier offers what is long overdue: a considered, compelling and comprehensive portrait of one of Britain's most controversial milltary leaders.

I'll be getting a copy in the hope that, finally, someone has written a biography which gives a tangible flavour of Haig the private man. The professional aspects of his life have been, I believe, pretty comprehensively covered now, both pro and con - whatever your take on Haig's performance in the Great War you can find a book to support it. But the man himself remains something of an enigma, and I wonder how much light - if any - this new biography will shine on previously unilluminated corners. I have Mead's 2000 book Doughboys on the US Army in the Great War, and found it well researched and very readable, so I'm looking forward with some interest to see what he's done with Haig.

ciao,

GAC

I can not help fealing that with every new book about Haig a further nail is hammered in the coffin that is his reputation. The two sides line up, the heat rises and then it explodes, the facts used by both sides to support their arguement. Yet the real loser is Douglas Haig himself, as each side tries to argue their case, he gets further emersed in debate. I am convinced that good or bad the man will never emerge from the print, too much has been said or written to convince either side, there is no common ground.

The one book I have read recently, apart from the war dairy, which is after all not a book but a diary, is the one that covers his early career, in his words, but then again it is in the main his early diary. So again not opinion of others but of the man himself.

I await the two sides lining up and wonder if I will get drawn in again!

GAC I fear you are after the rainbow, a book that will finally put Haig in his true light, he is too far gone for that unfortunately. However ever the optomist I await your review, knowing that Gary Sheffeild has one due soon to tempt you.

Happy reading and let us know.

Arm

I guess, books on Haig and indeed "The Great Haig Debate" will continue for some time to come.

Perhaps at the conclusion of WW3 we may have something else to talk about, thats if the internet still works.

Having said that, there is certainly still a lot of interest in the first world war, and Haig being one of the principal soldiers involved, and a controversial one at that, I suppose it must follow that his name will come up on a continuing basis.

Nige

"Previous biographies of Halg have lurched between haglography and character assassination."

Interesting new word, haglography! It appears thus on the Blackwells site as well so presumably it is a typo directly from the publisher. And who is Halg?

David

"Previous biographies of Halg have lurched between haglography and character assassination."

Interesting new word, haglography!

Indeed! Must admit I hadn't spotted that infelicity myself, David. 'Hagleography' might be better coined to describe a book on David Dickinson - though it'd have to be spelt 'Haggleography! :lol:

And talking of infelicities, I don't think the publisher's - presumably - intended use of 'hagiography' was quite the best choice - I don't know of any previous Haig biography, however sympathetic, which aspired to raise him to Sainthood!

ciao,

GAC

• 2 weeks later...

Now now, settle down at the back please. I am half way through and can definitely recommend it. Mead makes strenuous efforts to be neutral. A wider focus than most of the books up to now. Lady Haig and children get more than the usual passing mention. He makes a genuine effort to get at the man beneath the uniform. Probably an impossible task but a highly commendable effort.

Thanks for that take on the book so far, Tom - seems like it goes some way in the directions I was hoping it would. It's definitely on my Christmas book token list!

ciao,

GAC

This post will illustrate a well known truth, not only should you not judge a book by its cover, all books are works of two halves. When I posted last, the narrative had got as far as the start of the war. Gary Mead is not a military historian. His commentary relies heavily on standard books for military analysis.It's a big book and I do not intend to step through it page by page but critics of Haig will find very little to upset them in this second half. Mead brings Lloyd George into the story a great deal and the last couple of years of the war and indeed, the years after, are viewed as a struggle between LL G and Haig. There were times when I wished the war had been given greater prominence. He gives a lot of information on how Haig spent his time after the war and also how Lady Haig continued after his death. He is less than kind to Lady Haig. His last chapter is a summing up of Haig in his different facets and it is here that I would have my deepest reservations. The man he describes in the first half of the book, i.e. up to the start of the war, is not captured at all in the summing up. He somehow describes two men and sums up the second one. I was disappointed in the book as a whole and in particular by the last chapters. I would still say that anyone who is interested in Haig ought to read it. It fills a lot of gaps. It may well be that another reader will disagree with my reactions.

So we shouldn`t presume that the title preempts the issue? Rather as the Educated Soldier appeared to lay the ground rules.

I think that the title describes his assessment.Haig was a good soldier. Which is one of my reservations. How did a merely good soldier manage to do what Haig did and reach the heights he did. Quite apart from the war, Haig, after a slow start rose swiftly and was acknowledged as a great soldier destined for the highest appointments. He was one of the very few to come out of the SA War with a better reputation than when he went in. Damned with faint praise is a phrase which occurred to me more than once, but that is not my main criticism. His summing up does not seem to me to follow from th career that he describes. Haig was a very complex character. I think that there was great hidden depth to the man which very few people if any, ever plumbed. This meant that he was underestimated by many people. He was not just undemonstrative, he went well out of his way to keep his thoughts and feelings hidden. This makes a biographer's job very hard. I think it was too hard for Gary Mead, he didn't quite manage it.

Haig was a very complex character. I think that there was great hidden depth to the man which very few people if any, ever plumbed. This meant that he was underestimated by many people. He was not just undemonstrative, he went well out of his way to keep his thoughts and feelings hidden. This makes a biographer's job very hard. I think it was too hard for Gary Mead, he didn't quite manage it.

Is it a biographer`s job to speculate on "hidden thoughts and feelings"? Surely that would be completely subjective, unless Haig told you what he was feeling/thinking and even then it might not be true! Because you can`t detect feelings/thoughts, you can`t assume they`re there but hidden?

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Dec 2 2007, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it a biographer`s job to speculate on "hidden thoughts and feelings"?

I don't think I would be happy with a biographer who based his biography on speculation. A biography is a description of how a person passed his life. It describes his actions and reactions. As Chris intimated a few posts ago, there have been many biographies of Haig. A new one could only hope to justify itself by presenting important new events or a new interpretation of Haig's conduct and that would have to be supported by evidence. If I lose my temper, shout and swear and storm off, I don't have to tell you how I am feeling. We have all seen politicians and military leaders being embarrassed or showing triumph or despair. We know what they are feeling because they allow their emotions to show. Haig did not do this. With Haig, it is very difficult to distinguish a biography from a history. A biographer is forced to analyse Haig through his actions as reported by others or through his diaries or despatches. It is unlikely that there are any new facts to be discovered. A new Haig biography then, can only be justified by a new interpretation of the known facts .

A new Haig biography then, can only be justified by a new interpretation of the known facts .

I`m afraid you`re right. Without new facts, new biographies can only be presentations of the writer`s subjective interpretation and personal leanings.

My point exactly!

Haig is done to death, no pun intended, we need to move on. Look at other angles. Perhaps the people around him etc. He was after all one man, he did not run, conduct, win or do everything himself during the war.

regards

Arm

My point exactly!

Haig is done to death, no pun intended, we need to move on. Look at other angles. Perhaps the people around him etc. He was after all one man, he did not run, conduct, win or do everything himself during the war.

regards

Arm

Amen to that. We desperately need new biographies of Ludendorff, Falkenhayn, Mackensen, and especially Hindenburg. I'd also like to see a biography of Arthur Currie - for my money one of the most underrated leaders of the war.

Any biography of the major players which had new facts or insights would be very welcome. I think we need to look at German authors for most of your list Halder. There must surely be new source material available since the unification. I would also welcome new biographies of the French leaders. Foch, Joffre, Mangin et al. Modern treatments of Battles of the Frontiers and the Marne would be most welcome from my own selfish point of view. A French or German treatment of Chemins des Dames 1917. I hope Santa is looking at this.

I think that more attention should be paid to staff officers and the impact they had on their commanders. I would like to see a good study of the top staff officers, perhaps not just biographies of these men.

For instance does Haig's performance vary for better or worse under Gough, Kiggel or Lawrence?

People like Kiggel, Chateris, Davidson, Lawrence, Macdonogh, Montgomery, Holland, Harrington, etc etc....

But I digress from this thread. I guess I shall not be purchasing this book and as Charles says the others on their way. I doubt they will help to alter or make up my mind about Haig. Too much water and too many bridges.

regards

Arm

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The General Sir Arthur Currie Memorial Project - Honoring Canada's Greatest General

The General Sir Arthur Currie Memorial Project was started to raise a statue of the General in his boyhood home town of Strathroy Ontario. It is supported by the Town of Strathroy Caradoc, The Sir Arthur Currie Legion #116, Museum Strathroy Caradoc and various private and corporate sponsors. The website contains the start of a collection of material on General Currie. [CEF Study Group - Oct 2010]

http://curriememorialproject.tripod.com/