The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Forged by Fire

bantamforgot

Having just read this book it may be of some use to members wishing to know more of their relatives deaths or wounding & the actions thereof. It seems to list all casualties of every rank & the actions in which they became casualties.

Regards.

Colin.

It is a superbly researched and readable book (and its author is a member of the forum)

Hello Delta,

It is certainly one of the best books I have read in relation to details of casualties within the battalion & should be of great assistance to members with any relations who served with the 7th./S L I

I was unaware of the forum member also being the author, it might be a good idea if within forum rules ,to list members/authors for us newbies ?

Colin

one for Chris Baker's perusal, i think

Stephen

By the way, with 268 posts you are not really a newby, more a candidate for Skindles membership

A newbie re. PC & search etc. Just old age Stephen !!!!!

I am a pygmy re. the net.

Colin

Hi All,

Yes I agree a superb book that has been of countless help to me over the last couple of years.

Now if only we could have the same on the 1st/2nd/4th & 8th Bn SLI that would be great :-)

All the best

James

• 1 month later...

Found this thread - if the forum pal author is following it, a request to please make the 8th Btn your next subject!!!!!!

Mabel

Brendon Moorhouse, Forged by Fire The Battle Tactics and Soldiers of a WWI Battalion the 7th Somerset Light Infantry

ISBN: 1862271917

ISBN13: 9781862271913

Hardback

There is an earlier thread, similar title, with some very nice reviews.

An interesting idea - to examine tactics via the progress of one battalion. Thank you, Colin, for drawing my attention to it.

With best wishes,

David

Now if only we could have the same on the 1st/2nd/4th & 8th Bn SLI that would be great :-)

Thank you all for your kind words. I am currently working on a history of the 1st Battalion. The emphasis will need to change a little to keep the publisher happy but I still plan to give as full an account as possible.

Regards - and Happy New Year to everyone.

Brendon.

Hi Brendon,

Thats good news about the 1st SLI. I know if it is anywhere near as good as the first one it will be well worth the wait !

Could you please let me know when it is ready to order.

All the very best

James

Hi Stephen,

Just to show my ignorance, what or who is "Skindles"?

Colin

Colin,

Skindles was an officers club in Poperinghe....not too far from the Toc H building....

Now a shop!

Many thanks Cherry, in the meantime I did locate the origins of "Skindles", thank you for your reply.

Colin

My Great Uncle being with the 7th SLI the book is on my birthday list (alas Christmas has passed on no books :(. I look forward to the 1st SLI book as the same Great Uncle after 1916 and my Grandfather were with the Battalion.

I have to agree that this is a superb book. Even more so as it mentions my Great Grandfather several times as he served as a CSM until killed at Le Transloy in October 1916.

Sadly we do not have a photograph of him but this at least gave us an insight into part of his life at this time.

Barrie

This book has made it so easy to trace my great grandfather's movements. With the detailed descriptions of his final battle and now having the relevant trench maps and I am to locate where he would have been wounded.

My great grandfather joined 6th SLI before being wounded at Railway Wood in Aug 1915 returning to France and into 7th Battalion in April 1916.

So Brendon if you could also do a book on the 6th Battalion it would be appreciated :D

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

Would you know the company your Great Grandfather served in? Mine was acting CSM with B COY from 20th May 1916 to September 1916 when he was transferred as CSM to C COY on the 22nd September and KIA 7.10.16. Before this he was CQMS with B COY of the 7th from the beginning until his death.

Thanks

Barrie

Hi Barrie,

He was in C COY but was wounded on the 16th September during the battle for Les Boeufs. He later died of his wounds on the 30th September in Corbie.

I going over in February and will be taking loads of photos of the area. I will take a few of the Le Transloy area if you want.

PM me with details if you do

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris. That would be great. I hope to get over myself for the first time in September and take a look myself.

His name is on the Thiepval memorial. Looks like they just missed out on serving in the same company. He would have certainly met lads he served with though.

I'll drop you a line.

Cheers

Barrie

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to get a new copy of this book but no success here in Canada. Is it still in print?

It looks like I will need to order a used copy.

Could not seem to find a new copy here in Canada, but have managed to order used.

Thanks David. Look forward to the read.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a copy up for grabs on Ebay at the mo

• 2 weeks later...

With great excitement I opened my copy, which arrived in the post today, only to find it is missing 50 pages!!!! Not only that one of the pages missing is the one the mentions my Great Uncle. Argghhhh!

Now I have to send it all the way back to the UK!!

:angry: