The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Forged by Fire

bantamforgot

I started to read the book despite the missing 50 pages and all of a sudden I realised it is signed by the author! I think I will keep the copy.

Can anyone spare 50 pages or so?

Ed

My Great Uncle, Pte Leonard George Holder was KIA 13/6/16 at Railway Wood. He was a 7th SLI soldier from the outset. I have the book and it is indeed superb! To stand at his death site and revisit the battle that he fell in, is something quite special. I look forward to the 1st SLI book. When is out approx Brendon?

Ed,

Who was your great-uncle, and which page? I'll look it up.

David

My Great Uncle was LT. A. C. Parsons, according to the names index he is on page 113. Amazingly enough my copy of the book goes up to page 112 and then starts at page 145! I know he was wounded on the attack on Rainbow Trench in October 1916. If I could get a copy of the pages covering that attack it would be great. If you can scan them and email to me let me know and I will PM my email address.

My Great Uncle later transferred to the 1st SLI and was promoted to Captain, and was KIA March 29, 1918.

My Grandfather was with the SLI, but was a Signals Officer and I am not sure with which Battalion.

Thanks

Ed

Thank you kindly to David for emailing the pages, which mention my Great Uncle. I post a photo of him ® and my Grandfather taken during the war. Sadly the 90th anniversary of his being killed is approaching March 29th. He left the 7th SLI to join the 1st SLI and was promoted to Captain. He was killed by a sniper whilst trying to retrieve his wounded men who had defended their line against the German offensive "Mars" the day before.

post-18142-1204919926.jpg

Ed,

Lovely to see the photo. Do you know where it was taken? Looks like an interesting garden! Great uncle on right as we view it?

Best wishes,

David

That is my Great Uncle on the right. I would assume it is later in the war as he is wearing a OR tunic although he was a Captain. My Grandfather is wearing an officer's uniform as, best as I can tell, he was away from the front lines as a Signals Officer. As to where it is taken, I am not sure. It could be my Great-Grandparent's home in Exeter. The photo lies in an album of that my Mum has. Some of the photos have captions so I shall ask.

Ed

Ed,

Most interesting to have a photo of your great uncle in an OR uniform as an officer but if it was taken in Exeter I wonder why he was wearing it rather than his "proper" officer's one, like his brother? Was it usual to wear these when in the UK or just at the front?

Best wishes,

David

I have been trying to get a new copy of this book but no success here in Canada. Is it still in print?

It looks like I will need to order a used copy.

Got my copy recently from Amazon.com. Worked in USA should work up North. Cheers, Bill

Just wanted to add my praise for "Forged by Fire". Not only is it an excellent book but its author has been unflaggingly helpful whenever I've asked him for more information about Colonel Troyte-Bullock, DSO. Thanks Brendon! Cheers, Bill