The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Wearside Battalion, D.L.I.

Graham Stewart

For all you DLI enthusiasts and especially for those whose relatives may have served with the 20th(Service)Bn, Durham L.I.(Wearside), I just thought I'd let you know that John Sheens new book on the 'Wearside Battalion' is finally available and I received my copy from the man himself, which is greatly appreciated.

No technical hitches have occurred within this publication and I for one think it's a fabulous book and although not perhaps the size of some books in the 'Pals' series, it makes one hell of an impact with the number of photographs it contains of members of the 20th Bn. The iceing on the cake though has to be the fact that a large percentage of these photos are named and in particular one photo blew my socks off and that was the buglers of the battalion, who are all named.

Well written with a Battalion Roll that hasn't suffered from the the previous clitches I think you'll find this book a little treasurer whether or not you follow the "Durhams".

Thanks again John for an excellent book.

Graham.

Hi

Would it be possible for someone with a copy to see if two of my local lads are mentioned(both casualties)

32008 Pte Butterfield KIA 16/9/16

28958 Pte Townend KIA 31/7/17

Both thought to have served 20th DLI.

Thanks

Ady

Unfortunately i can answer my own question after seeing it in Waterstones and its a big fat no!! :(

It just lists the originals as a nominal, later ranks are included in honours and awards and in the text.

Looks a cracking book though with some excellent photos. :)

Hi

The reason only the originals are included is that pen & sword are reluctant to include the rolls.

The author has to fight to get them in and remember that originally the 20th Battalion was part of the Durham Pals book and had to be taken out to reduce the size of that book, to a saleable price.

Could you imagine the size of the roll if all reinforcements were included. There would be something over 3,000 names or more to research. Some such as those later transfered to the Labour Corps would be extremely hard to trace.

regards

Tyneside Chinaman