The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Magnificent But Not War

AlanMC

Magnificent But Not War The Second Battle of Ypres 1915 by John Dixon

I plan to buy this book (will use the link from here to Amazon to help forum) as I want to learn everything leading up to the death of George Cameron of the 2nd Canadian Inf, who died on the 25th April 1915. Does anyone know of any other books covering the 2nd battle of Epres?

I am also looking for a good book which covers The Battle of Le Cateau, 26 August 1914. Again if anyone knows of a good book can you please let me know.

Thanks for any help.

Alan.

For a lot of the facts of figures, you cannot do better than the official history. A bit nippy in price, but should be available from library. Magnificent but not War is very good. The Death of Glory by Robin Neillands deals with 1915 generally. It received mixed reviews here on the forum. I liked it and think it is worth reading.

As for the battle of Le Cateau I would recommend:

The Mons Star by David Ascoli

Mons Retreat to Victory John Terraine

The Vanished Army Tim Carew

1914 The Days of Hope Lyn MacDonald

For the First Ypres I would recommend:

Death of an Army Anthony Farrar-Hockley

Ypres The First Battle Ian F.W. Beckett

As for second Ypres... that is a little harder, but Magnificent but not War is a good start.

Andy

Alan, one other book that may be of service is by Daniel G. Dancocks, "Welcome to Flanders Fields: The First Canadian Battle of the Great War: Ypres, 1915".

I say "may" because while Dancocks was a serious historian (sadly he is no longer with us) he was decidedly a Canadian nationalist and this periodically showed up in his work. Nevertheless, if you can borrow it through the UK's inter-library loan system, it might prove useful.

I also have Dixon's book but am ashamed to say that I have not yet read it. It appears to take a more comprehensive view of the entire battle while Dancocks focuses on the Canadians. Good luck.

My own great-uncle was taken prisoner during this battle and spent the rest of the war as a guest of the kaiser.

Alan, just a few more items if you are interested.

The front and back of George H. Cameron's attestation papers may be viewed here. If you click on the image, it becomes very legible.

http://data2.archives.ca/cef/ren1/002136a.gif

http://data2.archives.ca/cef/ren1/002136b.gif

By 2nd Canadian, is it fair to assume that you are referring to the 2nd Battalion, Canadian Division (there was only one Canadian Division at this point in the game?

If so, a perusal of the 2nd Battalion's war diary might be very interesting to you. You can access all of the CEF's war diaries at this site:

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/020152_e.html

Hope this helps.

Of course, for a little cash, you can also order Pvt. Cameron's entire military file from the Canadian government. I did this for both of my great-uncles. Let me know if you are interested and I can give you more info.

Al Parsons

Brighton, Ontario

Alan, just looked again at Pvt. Cameron's attestation paper. According to it, he was indeed a member of H Company, 2nd Battalion. This may or may not be useful information when you look at the battalion's war diary. Happy reading.

Hi Al thanks for all that, I did have his attestation paper but had not spotted he was in H company. I did not know I could get his full military file, can you point me to the site for that.

I have a look at the battalion's war diary, by the way I do know he was mentioned in dispaches, any idea if I can get that also?

Alan.

Alan, good afternoon. Your ancestor's military records will not be online (I'm nearly 100% sure of this but if anyone knows better - and this is quite possible - then I am anxious to be corrected).

You could google Library and Archives Canada for more info. but the easiest way to do it is probably the way I did it: send in your request by letter (yes, snail mail) and they will send you copies of the entire file, also by snail mail.

The address is:

Library and Archives Canada

395 Wellington Street

Ottawa, Ontario

Canada

K1A ON4

You will need to give them:

Your name and address (duh) and the required level of detail about Mr. Cameron: ie. his full name, his regimental number (8422) and LAC's reference number (RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 1405-38).

You will also have to provide your credit card information because they will charge you for their photocopying and postage costs.

How much will it cost? Depends on the size of the file but $15 to $30 Canadian or between 8 and 15 pounds might be approximate.

As for "mentioned in dispatches", I have no info. Sorry. In another section of this message board, I think there is an opportunity to ask about this sort of personal info. and how to go about researching it. This is the only thing I can think of now.

Later, I will scan Dancock's book, which is quite good by the way - I really do recommend it - and will let you know if he has much to say about the 2nd Battalion on April 25th.

Hope this helps.

Al

At the risk of being accused of patting my own back, may I draw your attention to my Baptism of Fire: The Second Battle of Ypres and the Forging of Canada, April 1915 just published by Harper/Collins Canada.

It was reviewed quite favourably in Esprit de Corps

magazine and elsewhere in Canada.

Here is a link to the review in the MONTREAL GAZETTE:

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:VvnzQa...=clnk&cd=11

It can be found at Chapters.ca or Amazon.ca

You will find that while I have respect for Dixon's work, I differ strongly on the question of Brigadier General Currie's performance and on his famous run-in with Major General Snow.

As well, my book is the first English language book to tell the story from "both sides of the hill."

Cheers,

Nathan M. Greenfield

Nathan, thank you for chiming in.

What a twit I am!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought your book a couple of weeks ago - at the same time as I bought Tim Cook's "At the Sharp End" - and then I got sidetracked and .......here I am, with your book right in front of me!

I do apologize for the oversight. Since one of my great-uncles was taken prisoner on the 24th of April, I have a lot of interest in that particular battle. I shall begin reading it this afternoon.

I am such a dough-head sometimes.

AlanMC - take my word for it, Nathan's book looks like a classic on 2nd Ypres.

Al thanks for all the advice it is a great help, it's good in a way to know that both of us have a strong link to this battle. Believe me I have been looking at loads of maps as well as the war diary, it is good to be able to say "you know a lot more of what happened" thanks to all the help giving on here.

Nathan thanks I will add it to the list of books I am getting, it will be good to pick your brains when I am reading it. I do like to get down to the bare bones, so will be good to see your point of view,

I differ strongly on the question of Brigadier General Currie's performance and on his famous run-in with Major General Snow.

Thanks again to all for the help.

Alan.

As for the battle of Le Cateau I would recommend:

The Mons Star by David Ascoli

Mons Retreat to Victory John Terraine

The Vanished Army Tim Carew

1914 The Days of Hope Lyn MacDonald

For the First Ypres I would recommend:

Death of an Army Anthony Farrar-Hockley

Ypres The First Battle Ian F.W. Beckett

As for second Ypres... that is a little harder, but Magnificent but not War is a good start.

Andy

Andy, this is Andy ... speaking of Lyn MacDonald ... I've never read anything of hers. Is it going to depress me? I guess I am censoring my reading against donkeys if you know what I mean.

I would also highly recommend Nathan's book. I bought it last week and have finished it already. It was hard to put down. I plan on a re-read over the holidays to better digest it.

It's a detailed chronology with easy to understand maps to track the movement of the battle. The 2nd brigade is mentioned quite often in the book as well.

I especially like the acknowledgement Nathan gave The Great War Forum. :D

It's rare for me to be able to speak about a book with the author looking in, but I must say I enjoyed your writing Nathan. I hope you choose The First World War again as a subject for your next book.

Paul

Thanks for all the kind words about Baptism.

It's not often that a write gets to hear from other experts in the field.

I'm hard a work on my next book, which, alas, is a 2nd World War topic.

[sidebar question: Does anyone know of a Forum of this caliber that deals with the British in Asia during WWII?]

Cheers,

Nathan