The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1931 Huge Imperial German Army Wartime Front Photo Book

birchp

If I may say, that is a very steep asking price. That's about double of what I would expect to pay for the set....caveat emptor.

Paul

Copies floating around on Abebooks for about £20 plus P&P. The first volume is images from the German archives, the second drawn from the Allied archives (I think). Looks well worth getting I have to say.

Double? - and the rest. These books are common and readily available. I paid a dealer in Berlin €35 for mine about three years ago.

Jack

Ach so..the price is in pounds! I didn't even notice this morning---yikes!

Paul

The images are generally excellent, but the choice of subjects, the emphasis given to certain of them and the order in which they are placed is a little strange but, nevertheless, I find them interesting and useful.

Jack

• 4 weeks later...
The images are generally excellent, but the choice of subjects, the emphasis given to certain of them and the order in which they are placed is a little strange but, nevertheless, I find them interesting and useful.

Jack

I just picked up a copy of this for £12 on abebooks. Not sure what condition it will be in, but at that price it was too good to miss. Hopefully there will be some images of the March offensive and 1918 retreat within.

• 3 weeks later...

My copy just arrived this morning. What an excellently-produced book, stunning images, definitely worth investing in for any WW1 buff. I'd have to agree with pal Jack that the book's a little haphazard in its choice of images (loads of images, for example, from May-June 1918, but very few from the main March offensive), but for £12 a definitely bargain.

Be advised that the edition "Der Weltkrieg im Bild" comprises of TWO large pictured books, not one.

Egbert's right--if you're going to get them, get the set--a matched set is better. There always seems to be a few floating around e-bay--it's a very common item.

Paul

The first volume from 1928 which I picked up is images from the German archives; the second one from c.1931 is images culled from Allied archives. Might invest in that one shortly.