The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Unknown Soldier

chrisbrown43

Pals.......

Have just finished reading this fascinating book writen by Neil Hanson. This is a book that draws on letters and diary extracts from three combatants from the sides on Britian...Germany and the United States. All three of these were killed and have "no known grave!"

Futhermore....it goes on to tell the story of how the Unknown Warrior came to his resting place in Westminster Abbey...although the 'powers that be' had great trouble in pursuading King George V of the merit of such a deed. The book also goes on to explain the buliding of the temporary Cenotaph and the Final Cenotaph a year later. Then on Armistice Day 1920 the full funeral of Britains Unknown Warrior took place in the prescence of the King and the Widows of the Great War. This a a truly moving book....especially when describing in detail the full arrangements of the burial and the way in which it took place....and also what I found very moving was the telling of how many wreaths were laid at the Cenotaph......for a full nine months after as many as 3-400 every week!

If all this makes any sence....as it is the first review I have tried to do....Then...go spend a fiver at your local Tesco...it's got to be worth a go!

Chris.

Pals.......

Have just finished reading this fascinating book writen by Neil Hanson. This is a book that draws on letters and diary extracts from three combatants from the sides on Britian...Germany and the United States. All three of these were killed and have "no known grave!"

Futhermore....it goes on to tell the story of how the Unknown Warrior came to his resting place in Westminster Abbey...although the 'powers that be' had great trouble in pursuading King George V of the merit of such a deed. The book also goes on to explain the buliding of the temporary Cenotaph and the Final Cenotaph a year later. Then on Armistice Day 1920 the full funeral of Britains Unknown Warrior took place in the prescence of the King and the Widows of the Great War. This a a truly moving book....especially when describing in detail the full arrangements of the burial and the way in which it took place....and also what I found very moving was the telling of how many wreaths were laid at the Cenotaph......for a full nine months after as many as 3-400 every week!

If all this makes any sence....as it is the first review I have tried to do....Then...go spend a fiver at your local Tesco...it's got to be worth a go!

Chris.

grrrrr now ye tell us paid the full whack for it in smiths in hard back

tafski

tafski mate....................its always worth a trip to the tesco....great selection of books...many at knockdown prices....and no i dont work there!!!! just in case anybody was wondering!!!

• 5 weeks later...
Pals.......

Chris.

Well, you've convinced me. Was looking at this at the local Barnes & Noble just yesterday. Now I gotta go back tomorrow and buy it.

Thanks!