The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Rifleman A.H.Francis, (London Rifle Briga

Guest Emmakatie

Guest Emmakatie

Info on Grandad.

304973 Rifleman A.H.Francis, (London Rifle Brigade (5th City of London Regt)

After considerable losses in the Battalion, Those remaining were transferred to either the Artist Rifles or the Post Office Rifles (8th City of London Regt)

He was badly wounded on the 25th July 1918 whilst serving with the Post Office Rifles, and left in "No Man's Land"

A book I once got from the library "Terriers in the Trenches" (no longer available) which is the history of the Post Office Rifles, gives an account of the events of the 25th July 1918. Quote:-

"July was spent relatively quietly, apart from one major incident in the trenches at Mirvaux. This involved a daylight trench raid carried out by the battalion on the 25th July. No less than 300 PORs' went over the top and initially it progressed well with the German trenches being entered, prisoners taken and casualties inflicted. Unfortunately the smokescreen which was to cover the withdrawal did not materialise. The raiders were taken in the flanks by heavy machine gun fire, which resulted in two officers killed, four wounded and 113 other rank casualties. Many of the wounded had to be left behind in No Man's Land I saw heroismthat day 'Old' Joe Bagnal of Manchester, a stretcher bearer, who went out three times under fire to fetch some one to safety. To collect our men in No Man's Land our MO and Padre went out towards the German Line displaying a Red Cross flag - they successfully negotiated a cease fire for one hour with the German commander. Then all hell broke loose on on our front line and supports."

I seem to remember Grandad saying before the raid which took place at 10.00 hours on the Morning of the 25th they had been at a place called "Daily Mail Wood" Some of his pals' are in the cem at Pozieres on the side of the main road leading from Albert to Bapaume.