The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

POW chistmas card.

stu

Hi,

Does anyone know about a Christmas card sent to POWs in Holland by the King AFTER the war ended,I've seen one undated refering to the fact that their ordeals now having ended they can return to continue their lives happily.

Was this sent to POWs awaiting repatriation during the Christmas of 1918,and why were they in Holland,was Holland a "holding area" for returning POWs,surely they weren't held prisoner in Holland as the card also refers to the Netherlands government kind assistance to POWs.

Thanks.

Stu

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I'm no expert, but am surprised no one has replied to your post yet. The POW's in Holland were a large contingent of the Royal Naval Division who fled to Holland from Antwerp as the German army swept through Belgium in 1914. In order to maintain their neutrality, Holland interned these men, chiefly at Groningen,for the duration of the war. While technically internees, not POWs, they were often referred to as POWs. I imagine this Christmas card was to RND members in Holland.

Thanks

I have read a first hand account of a POW soldier who was released from Friedrichfelde in November 1918. He and a mate appear to have then wandered around Belgium for a couple of weeks. They stayed with a civilian near the Dutch Border before being accommodated at a camp in Amersfoort, Holland, until they left to travel to Brighton.

I have heard stories before of POWs wandering around Europe trying to find their way back home, so possibly Holland was seen as the country to aim for if you wanted to be repatriated sooner rather than later.