The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte William Hutchison, Scottish Rifles

MargoH

We have the BWM and Victory Medal of a relative. Inscribed on both medals is the same info: 315034 Pte W Hutchison SCO RIF . I have searched the National Archives medal index but can't find him. Can anyone explain or make some suggestions either as to why this might be or where else I can look. He survived the war. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Now I'm confused: there are 6 cards on the image downloaded, and none of them contain the number 315034. Have I downloaded the wrong one? How do I link the number 315034 to what's entered on the cards? All 6 are for a William Hutchison and 5 of the 6 were in the same regiment - how do know which one is "ours"? All help appreciated!

just spotted it!! Had to zoom really close though!

number 315034 ..... how do know which one is "ours"?

This is the link to the correct MIC to download. This MIC will be returned in a two page document, the first page of which is a cover page which has, at the bottom left and right hand corners respectively, the Catalogue Reference and Image Reference. In this case it will be: WO/372/10 and 20667, respectively. (You should check the document you downloaded for these numbers.)

The second page will have copies of six MICs, one of which will be for Private 315034, William Hutchison, Scottish Rifles.

Hope this helps,

Stuart