The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Western Front

brownegaz

Hi everyone I have just read my first book on the war in Europe "The Western Front" by Richard Holmes, I found it a bit hard going but thought I would ask others what they thought about it and to recommend other reading, I am trying to get a copy of "The War of the Guns : Western Front 1917" by Aubery Wade and "All quiet on the Western Front" but they are a bit hard to find in Western Australia.

I also have The Oxford Illustrated History of the First World War but havent read it yet.

My grandfather served mainly in the RFA so I am mainly interested in anything to do with artillery action.

Does anyone know of any DVDs that may have been produced, I thought maybe the BBC may have a WW1 documentary series available.

Thanks for any replies

Gary

BBC series "The Great War" made in the 1960's and featuring interviews with veterans .

Several novels by Henry Williamson cover his experiences in WW1

Regards,

linden

2 other DVD series are available - 1914-18 (BBC) and The First World War (Channel 4). Not sure how easy these would be to find in Australia though...

Alan

Thanks for the replies Alan and Linden

I have ordered two boxed sets of DVDs covering WW1 and the book "Patriots Progress" by Henry Williamson, I have also managed to get a hold of Aubery Wades book "The War of the Guns :Western Front 1917" and the "Ebb and Flow of Battle" by PJ Campbell and also "Generals Die in Bed" by Charles Harrison so that should keep me going for a while.

Thanks once again for the replies

Gary

Recently , on BBC Four I've seen some marvellous programmes based around the Albert Kahn film and photography archive ." The Twenties in Colour " showed post WW1 France .

Also , on one of the History/Discovery Channels there was a series on WW1 which I hadn't seen before . The analysis of the lead up to WW1 was very different from anything I had heard before . It suggested that Germany did not plan the war but found itself irretrievably embroiled . Wish I could remember the title .

Hope you find your new purchases absorbing , Gary .

Regards,

Linden

If you really want Gunner stuff you must get hold of the series of books written by Sir Martin Farndale on the RA in the Great War....several volumes covering the Western Front, the sideshows and so on......they are probably out of print but I would have thought the Canberra War Museum would have a reference copy....

BBC series "The Great War" made in the 1960's and featuring interviews with veterans .

Several novels by Henry Williamson cover his experiences in WW1

Regards,

linden

The Henry Williamson books are a must read. Apart from A Patriots Progress, the ones that cover the war are in his 'Chronicle Of Ancient Sunlight' sequence of books and are How Dear is Life ( Start of WW1 and 1st Ypres)

A Fox under my Cloak (1915 and Loos)

The Golden Virgin ( The year of the Somme)

Love and the Loveless (Passchendaele)

A Test to Destruction ( 1918 )

A Fox Under my Cloak has the most moving and realistic description of combat that I have ever read. All the books, although novels, are based on Henry's own experiences during the war and really bring the period to life. His detailing is amazing. Superb!

He also features in the BBC The Great War DVD's - another must have.

Roger.