The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

What was "The emergency" in April 1921?

wilkokcl

I have in front of me Army Form B 2530 for a Cavalry officer who served throughout WWI and then seems to have been recalled in 1921. The form includes the following:

"Captain X..........The Queens Bays, R of O.....has served continuously in the emergency from 11th April, 1921 to 27th April 1921 with No. 4 Cavalry Depot.... From this date on he ceases to be employed......etc"

I'm guessing (?) this may be something to do with Ireland but would be very grateful for guidance as to the significance of these dates, what was going on, where No. 4 Cavalry Depot was and why he was only recalled for 15 days.

Many thanks,

Mark

(Mods: if this breaks the rules as being off topic, please move it to Skindles. Its in with the chap's WWI service documents at the PRO.)

Excellent - so my guess that it was to do with Ireland was nonsense then! Any suggestions where I can find out more about this and what the reserves did or didn't do?

Many thanks, Mark

It's called "Aid to the Civil Power". Basically standing around discouraging the hooligans from starting anything.

One of the unfortunate consequences of this emergency is that a colour party from the Royal Scots Fusiliers could not be sent from Scotland (quartered at Ayr) to Birmingham for the funeral of George Ravenhill V.C - won at Colenso whilst serving in the 2nd Bn during the Boer War. The Royal Warwicks came in as substitutes.

It's called "Aid to the Civil Power". Basically standing around discouraging the hooligans from starting anything.

Hello the Forum.

This emergency was due to a national strike by, Railwaymen and Dockworkers and others allied to these groups, the miners were "not on strike" they were locked out by the coal Barron's for not accepting rather large wage reductions. Sorry Micheal, I cannot agree that that makes these men hooligans.

Cheers Rob.

Edit*

Mel have just read the link you posted explains it a lot better than I did. Cheers Rob

There was a fear of a bolshevick style rising and indeed in Scotland there was some agitation to that end, attempting to take advantage of the general industrial unrest - there was even a riot and a call for a completely general strike in Scotland.

Terrific stuff folks - to be honest I didn't search for previous threads on this topic as I assumed it was too off-topic. To have this much info in a matter of hours sums up what is so good about this Forum.

Thank you everyone.

Mark

This must have been a difficult duty, I can imagine that there were a lot of WWI soldiers who were now miners or who had returned to jobs as miners.

Llandodlad

There was a fear of a bolshevick style rising and indeed in Scotland there was some agitation to that end, attempting to take advantage of the general industrial unrest - there was even a riot and a call for a completely general strike in Scotland.

They were at it before this in Glasgow - those were the days of Red Clydeside!

Tanks in the Cattle Market, 1919.

In January 1919 engineering trade unions in Glasgow called a general strike to demand a 40 hour working week. After the police charged demonstrators in George Square on "Bloody Friday", the Government received alarmist reports that Glasgow might have been on the brink of a Bolshevik uprising. Troops accompanied by six tanks and 100 motor lorries began to arrive in the city on the evening of the riot, on 31 January. English units were chosen to go to the city, supposedly because of fears that Scottish soldiers might have been sympathetic to leftist political agitators and strikers.

The tanks remained in Glasgow for a week, by which time it had become apparent that reports of an impending Red Revolution had been unfounded.

Herald and Evening Times

post-446-1198107462.jpg

Sorry Michael, I cannot agree that that makes these men hooligans.

I wasn't saying that they were. I was referring to any elements that might try to start a riot, or destroy property. And I'm only too well aware that peaceful protest was often suppressed, like the Winnipeg General Strike in Canada, or the bonus marchers in the U.S.

Michael!! I stand Corrected.

MERRY CHRISTMAS ROB.