The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte David Hardie 1 Black Watch KiA 25.1.15

Guest Pete Wood

Guest Pete Wood

Name: HARDIE, DAVID

Initials: D

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 25/01/1915

Service No: 8133

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panels 24 to 26

Cemetery: LE TOURET MEMORIAL

Born and enlisted in Kirriemuir, Forfarshire

Killed in Action

I was with the Black Watch for two years, in Berlin. So I shall look forward to hearing more about this man and the red hackles.

Historical Information: The Memorial in Le Touret Military Cemetery, Richebourg-l'Avoue, is one of those erected by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission to record the names of the officers and men who fell in the Great War and whose graves are not known. It serves the area enclosed on the North by the river Lys and a line drawn from Estaires to Fournes, and on the South by the old Southern boundary of the First Army about Grenay; and it covers the period from the arrival of the II Corps in Flanders in 1914 to the eve of the Battle of Loos. It does not include the names of officers and men of Canadian or Indian regiments; they are found on the Memorials at Vimy and Neuve-Chapelle.

No. of Identified Casualties: 13377

David Hardie will also be commemorated in The Golden Book of Perth which is in St John's Church, Perth. I have been there four times recently to photograph it but th Church ( normally open) is closed while they dig up the road outside. I WILL get back there sometime soon and I'll add Pvt Hardie's inscription to my photo list.

( The author J M Barrie - Peter Pan - was from Kirriemuir)

Aye

Malcolm

According to SDGW there were 56 ORs killed in action on the same day, but no officers.

Incidently, SDGW also shows that there were 6 David Hardies killed in action in the war, all from Scottish regiments (and all from Scotland).

Guest Pete Wood

I'm more of an 'Easterner' so I don't have that many books on the Western Front. But I do know that this was the 'First Action of Givenchy'.

Can anyone add more info on this action....?

It does not include the names of officers and men of Canadian or Indian regiments; they are found on the Memorials at Vimy and Neuve-Chapelle.

Oddly enough this is not quite true.

The Le Touret Memorial bears the names of 13376 UK casualties and one from the Indian Army - why, I don't know as yet! Possibly he was on attachment to a UK unit.