The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Best general history?

Michael Pegum

I want to give, as a Christmas present, a one-volume general history of the whole war: what happened where and when, with uncontroversial descriptions of the military situation at each period with the reasons for, and course of, the various campaigns and battles and their results.

What would you recommend?

(P.S. It's rather urgent!)

Michael

Hew Strachan's First World War. Cheap, paperback, readily available, excellent pictures (many in genuine colour), erudite and easily readable. Best single volume on the Great War by a mile (although Stevenson's book is excellent too).

The book that introduced me to the Great War was John Keegan's "The First World War - Illustrated history". Plenty of pictures and covered all the basics. Gave me a basic grounding but left me wanting to know more....and here I am today :)

Not sure how available it is these days, Amazon still have it as a new book, so I would guess it is.

What about Liddel-Hart's volume?

Probably somewhat dated, but a good read, and lots of info on the "sideshows".

Adrian

For a photographic history I quite like this one. But I am not sure if its still available. And of course its only the Western front too "MO"post-13272-1198254012.jpg

Michael

I recentle saw 2 or 3 WW1 books in the discount book shop chain, I didn't take note of them as I've already sent my letter so Santa, but I have a birthday coming up soon. I'll be going for another look.

Big hardback books with lots of piccies and dramatically reduced to £12.99.

Example: my mate bought a Loraine Kelly book in there "for someone else I hasten to add" for £5.99 and we saw the same book, the same day, in the same town, for £16.99.

I don't know if the books are mentioned here, maybe they are not worthy, but worth a look for anyone interested in WW1 who hasn't got a comprehensive library.

If anyone else has any knowlwdge/comments about these books please let us know.

All the best for Christmas

Howard

Stevenson and Strachan are both very good.

My third choice would be Martin Gilbert's 'The First World War: A Complete History'. Gilbert is not everyone's cup of tea, but as a narrative historian he has few equals.

What about Liddel-Hart's volume?

Probably somewhat dated, but a good read, and lots of info on the "sideshows".

Adrian

Adrian

I would agree that Liddel Hart' 'History of the First World War' is bar far the best one volume history of the Great War. First published in 1930 but written in the 20s when most of the commanders were still alive and could argue their point and memories were still fresh. Unlike the modern historians who use rather dubius sources, that have been edited over the years to put Haig and co in a better light. At no time does heart disparage any General just gives the facts.

The Book was first published in 1930 as the 'Real War 1914 - 1918, but updated in 1934 and 1970. On each occaision it was acclaimed the best one volume history by the Daily Telegraph and Spectator.

Arnie

I have three general histories written at various periods:

Cruttwell's, dating from the 1930s, which is extremely well written, and doesn't pull a lot of punches, and like Hart is helped by direct access to participants

A.J. P. Taylor's, from the 1960s, which is quirky, somewhat 'lions led by donkeys' but really introduced me to the War. It also has sentimental value as a school prize.

Keegan's, which has been criticised on this forum as error-prone, but not quite sure why.

I haven't read Strachan or Stevenson, yet.

cheers Martin B

I vote for Stevenson.

Liddell-Hart certainly is not the place to go for detailed, acurate history of the war.

Jon

Many thanks for all the suggestions. It goes to show, if you read the replies and the reviews on Amazon, that there is no consensus on "the best". Not surprising, really!

Michael